FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
OK years ago my mom got a flower pot from a yard sale it was filled with media and a orchid sprouted and she repotted it in potting soil and it has staggered on for over 10years in potting soil. I got it from her and put it in a nepenthes mix and it has started to grow. I am keeping it outside in shade and plan to bring it back inside in like 3 weeks hoping it will help it to flower. any tips or help with a ID? I really want to giver it back to her flowering.
Image Image
By Jeeper
It's a dendrobium of some flavor. Use a mix of bark, perlite, and a touch of lfsm. Drench it then don't water again until it's almost completely dry.

Without knowing the exact species it'll be hard to tell you how to flower it. Some dendrobium just need a temp drop at night for a couple months to spur flowers. Many require a dry winter rest. Basically unless the canes get severely dehydrated/shriveled, you do not water it from Holloween till Valentine's day. This dry winter rest will result with flower buds forming. They like a lot of light but not direct light. Will do well under LED or T5 lighting.

*Edit* - Don't panic if it loses its leaves on older canes, most dendrobium are deciduous and will drop their leaves during their winter rest, new canes will grow the following wet season and have leaves again. Some dendrobium will only flower on older canes while others will only flower on first year canes, again, species specific.

That's about all I can tell you without knowing the exact species...

Jeeper
By DragonsEye
Most definitely a den. Amazing that it survived the potting soil.

Take a closeup of the canes please.
By optique
so the media its in now is around 50% LFSM, have have only watered after the top got crunchy dry.(inside this too 7-9 days) do i need to add more dry to the mix even if i can control myself when it comes to watering?

I have it outside now trying to sim a summer and my plan was to take it inside to sim winter in a sun room after a month of outside.

to force a bloom i would be willing to take it in to the ac every night if you think that could help.

only ferts i have are maxsea, 10-10-10, 34-0-0, and osmocote
i have only lightly sprayed with a 25% mix of maxsea when i had it out for CP's

how firm is the no direct light? in my sun room i had it in 3hours of end of day direct light and it seemed to respond well. a new stalk was growing well. outside i have it on bottom shelf under trees.

spam of photo's
Image Image Image Image Image
By DragonsEye
optique wrote:so the media its in now is around 50% LFSM, have have only watered after the top got crunchy dry.(inside this too 7-9 days) do i need to add more dry to the mix even if i can control myself when it comes to watering?
Does you mom have any idea or, better yet photos, of what the flowers were like? Better yet, does she remember if the flowers appeared along the length of the cane or from a spike at or very near the top of the cane?

If you have a bark mix available, ditch the moss entirely. Especially as humid as I imagine your area is, sphag will retain more water than its roots will want. [You could even grow it in a mix of those little expanded clay balls (Hydroton was one brand ... often found at hydroponic stores) if you wanted to.] Because this is its time of active growth, it can handle more water. Your bigger issue ... especially if you stick with sphag ... will be when temps cool down. Media may stay too moist.

optique wrote:to force a bloom i would be willing to take it in to the ac every night if you think that could help.
How cold are your fall through winter temps outside and inside the sunroom?
optique wrote:only ferts i have are maxsea, 10-10-10, 34-0-0, and osmocote
The balanced fert should be fine. Don't bother with the osmocote.
optique wrote:how firm is the no direct light? in my sun room i had it in 3hours of end of day direct light and it seemed to respond well. a new stalk was growing well. outside i have it on bottom shelf under trees.
Indoor direct sun and outdoor direct sun are two very different things. Outdoors, if hardened off properly, should have no prob with direct morning or evening sun. Direct summer sun during the hottest part of the might be too much. You'd have to work on hardening it off properly and then experiment a bit. I'd say more sun than it sounds like it is currently getting. Indoors, particularly during the winter when the sun tends to be weaker, even direct afternoon sun will likely be okay. Summer could be a different story depending upon what kind of air circulation you have and time of day.
By optique
She had it in miracle grow potting soil and evening sun for years it never flowered.I think she has killed it back many times. It came in a pot she got at a yard sale she liked, she had no idea there was a plant in it.

Bark is no issue, i just used LFSM/perlite because i already had it and to get it out of the potting soil.

In the summer the sun room is 71-75f and low direct light, in the winter it has high direct light and heats whole the house. I have been keeping temp set to 60f but on a sunny day it can get very warm. But i always can position plants to not receive direct light, it just changes a lot with the season. saves a lot on the heating bill.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!