FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
So I macgyver'd myself a little lowland setup and I'm looking for some nice small lowland nepenthes. I've found a few that have sparked my interest in onlyine stores in the US, but I can't seem to find any really extravagant ones that aren't sold in places other than outside the US (I'm nervous ordering from outside the US because I don't want the plant to be damaged during inspection).

Does anybody have some lowlands they may be willing to sell? Nothing too big or expensive, but something besides a simple lowland alata.
By SerMuncherIV
N. bicalcarata doesn't get huge pitchers, but the plant itself gets very large and it's not usually recommended as someone's first lowlander. NE is also doing a website update somewhat soon, they said that they'll have some N. ampullaria and other lowlanders in stock.

I'm also not sure why Predatory Plants is listing N. burkei and N. spectabilis as lowlanders, they're intermediate/borderline highland growers...
By Benurmanii
What website is NE? Also, what is the general photo period for most lowland neps? I am planning to get a flourescent light fixture with a 8 watt 13.5 inch flourescent tube, with a color temp of 4100k, should this work?
By iamjacksplants
Benurmanii wrote:What website is NE? Also, what is the general photo period for most lowland neps? I am planning to get a flourescent light fixture with a 8 watt 13.5 inch flourescent tube, with a color temp of 4100k, should this work?
Hey Benurmanii,

I hate to be a Naysayer here, but the light fixture you're describing is VERY insufficient. The amount of light that will provide for your plant would be similar to it getting and hour or two of cloudy sunlight a day.

I had one 48" 40 watt t8 with a 6500k tube in it. This was sufficient for a few each of Venus Fly Traps, Pingicula, Utricularia and one Drosera Tokaiensis. As long as they were lined up in a row DIRECTLY under the tube, with the tops of the plants no more that two or three inches below the tubes. They were ok, but not thrilled. As I added more plants to the sides, it became apparent rather quickly I either needed more lights, or less plants. Immediately. I now have, in addition to the original fixture, two 18" 20 watt 6500k tubes, and one 24" 24 watt 4100k tube. I'm waiting on a 6500k tube for the 24" as the 4100k tube (or warm white I believe) is putting off too much heat and can only be left on for a few hours a day. Heat is also energy loss, which of course translates to higher utility cost. 6500k lamps are "day light" color temperature, and are much cooler burning than 4100k. Before I added the new lights, and expanded my grow area, most of my plants were actually touching the lamp and there was absolutely no heat damage to them. The 4100k lamp, on the other hand would have scorched them. My plants are now about 11-13" from the lights, and even that is too close at long internals under the 4100k.

All that being said, I don't know much at all about Nepenthes yet, but I'm doing a BUNCH of reading on N. Ventricosa , as I have chosen it as my first Nepenthes due to its notorious resilience, as far as these guys go, and my inexperience with them. From what I've read so far most intermediate highlanders [I don't personally know what yours is, but if SerMuncherIV says it's an intermediate, it's an intermediate. SerMuncherIV knows A LOT about Nepenthes ], they prefer dappled sunlight in most cases. I can't say for certain, but I'm sure SerMuncherIV can, the heat generated by a 4100k lamp, combined with the close proximity to the light needed for the plant to effectively use the energy from the light would make for a pretty miserable if not deadly situation for your plant.

I would recommend at least two 48" 40 watt t12 or t8 tubes. In the case of a plant that prefers dappled sunlight, you might consider using one 5000k (cool white) and one 6500k (daylight). This would provide a little broader light spectrum (closer to sunlight filtered through foliage and such) rather than two full daylight spectrum tubes which would be closer to direct sunlight. I would also place the plant off to the side a bit, as opposed to directly under it. Also all the reading I've done so far suggested placing the plant no closer than 7" beneath the light source.

I'm not sure how large your setup is, or if you can accommodate a larger fixture, but 13 watts is not going to do much for your plant. You want at least 80 watts total, and 900 lumens minimum. If you care to get into specifics, I would be happy to share what I know about light fixture types that would better suit your setup.

An equally important requirement is a nighttime temperature drop of at least 20* less than your daytime temperature. Some Nepenthes ( Ventricosa ) are more forgiving to lesser temp drops and can be "hardened" to lower humidity levels (less than the ideal 75%+) but this takes time and is risky with the "forgiving" Nepenthes and as far as I know, is not recommended with most others. I could be WAY off on that though, as I've mostly been reading up on the one I'm planning on as my first.

So, as far as what your particular plant requires, I would listen to SerMuncherIV.

I am, however, an electrician by trade and can answer just about any lighting questions you may have, or help with sources for more economical lighting arrangements. I've got about 60$ total into my four light fixtures. I've seen others here pay 100$+ for one fixture. Please, do not do this, unless you're made of money. ..in which case, I have some fixtures you might be interested in buying... 8-)

Anyhow, sorry for the long read, just trying to share as much information as I can, as others here have done for me.

Good luck.
Cheers,
-@.
iamjacksplants liked this
By Benurmanii
Thanks for the reply jacksplants. My main problem so far with lighting is trying to find something sufficient that isn't $50 or above. From my research of nepemthes, it seems that 4000k - 6500k is best. I do not understand how wattage comes into play. Also, since my setup is for lowlanders, I am artificially heating the enclousure, and so nightly temp drops should not be a problem.

Ideally, where I put my setup for my lowlander would be a shelf where i could have multiple levels so I can house many plants indoors. I believe the most space I have for the length of lights is about 48in.
By iamjacksplants
Benurmanii wrote:Sorry about 38in. Do you know any good light fixtures around that length?
Hey Benurmanii, sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I can recommend fixtures for that application. I'll make a detailed post for here later, but I'm going to pm you now.

Cheers,
-@
By Benurmanii
iamjacksplants wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:Sorry about 38in. Do you know any good light fixtures around that length?
Hey Benurmanii, sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I can recommend fixtures for that application. I'll make a detailed post for here later, but I'm going to pm you now.

Cheers,
-@
Cool, thanks so much! :D

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!