FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
NightRaider wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:11 pm
DragonsEye wrote:there is nothing wrong with having typicals
Case in point: this month's photo contest.
Sundews69 wrote:Man, I just loath spending money
I've had luck a couple times getting a few dollars off my cubes if the plants weren't in good shape. I've even seen some people say they've gotten whole trays that have been sitting a while for $1/cube. May not be applicable if they look fine here, but just something you can keep in mind for the future.
I will keep that in mind! There was, like I said, a dente-typical look-alike that was completely uprooted. It was still alive, but maybe I can get a big discount on it.
By WONE
@NightRaider

A little off topic, but I'm curious, what about mislabeled plants?

For example, I ordered a 'Pinnacle' a few years ago from that one place in Hawaii. However, it looks suspiciously like SD Kronos, which at the time was the their only other listing. Do I throw my relabel out the window?
By NightRaider
It gets kinda messy at that point, but if it was me personally I would just note it with something like "Pinnacle? Likely SD Kronos." If you don't plan to distribute it then it doesn't matter a ton how exactly you denote it, but if you were to send divisions or w/e then I'd just make sure to tell the recipient about the history so they know what they're getting.
WONE liked this
By VFTnPups
WONE wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:30 pm @NightRaider

A little off topic, but I'm curious, what about mislabeled plants?

For example, I ordered a 'Pinnacle' a few years ago from that one place in Hawaii. However, it looks suspiciously like SD Kronos, which at the time was the their only other listing. Do I throw my relabel out the window?
You can contact the seller and see if they can help you out. If you can’t get a definite answer from them than you have a very vigorous and larger than normal typical.

There seems to be a misunderstanding (especially from new growers) that typical flytraps are inferior or somewhat worthless compared to cultivars and that’s just not true. I have typicals of all shapes, sizes, and colors and some are more breath taking than a lot of my cultivars. I lost the tags to some of my King Henry divisions. I already had some typicals that looked a lot like KH, so now I have even more typicals that look like KH 😆
By NightRaider
VFTnPups wrote:There seems to be a misunderstanding (especially from new growers) that typical flytraps are inferior or somewhat worthless compared to cultivars and that’s just not true.
I mentioned it earlier, but again this month's photo contest - actually even your specific entry lol - is a really good example of this. There are several typicals posted in that thread that are in no way inferior to half the registered cultivars out there.
By Sundews69
Based off the pics, do you guys think they are healthy enough and decent sized for the price of $6? if they aren't super healthy, maybe I should ask for a discount?
By Sundews69
I kinda need a reply asap cause I'm almost at Lowe's
By Sundews69
Do you think they look healthy?
By DragonsEye
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:59 pm
DragonsEye wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:53 pmYou have no reason to worry. They NEVER water the death cube plants.
So true, so true. My gosh, back in WI every single death cube flytrap at walmart was dry as can be. I have no idea how those poor things were still alive. Walmart really needs to mark down their flytraps when they get like this. Or they can just put a teeny tiny ency weency bit of care into them!
It's not worth it for them to do so. It's the reason so many of the plants at the BBS's look like crap in short order. Plants are typically there more on "consignment". If the plant dies, it's no skin off the BBS's nose. The nursery is the one that bites the bullet on that. So plants like orchids and cacti/succs are typically sent in a media that is not truly conducive to the plant's long term health. Rather, it is meant to provide enough moisture to keep the plant alive long enough to make it to the store and get sold.
By NightRaider
DragonsEye wrote:So plants like orchids and cacti/succs are typically sent in a media that is not truly conducive to the plant's long term health.
Learned that the hard way with a mini orchid a year or so back. For some reason I just assumed it was in a decent mix, but no it was just a pure lfs plug that rotted the roots off and I had no idea why it wasn't growing until I finally went to repot it. It's recovering now, but that really got on my nerves.
Sundews69 wrote:Do you think they look healthy?
Probably too late for my response to matter now, but yeah they look as healthy as you could hope for deathcube plants. There's basically no chance to get those discounted at least in my experience. I had one of the big cubes once that had soil everywhere and roots visible and only got offered $1 off, but it really depends who's working when you ask. But personally I wouldn't bother asking for those.
By Sundews69
Ok, so I did it. The only plant that I wanted to get a discount for was one that was completely uprooted. The plant was literally laying on its side with the roots not touching the soil at all. I didn't want to spend my money and when I was offered a freaking $1 discount for a plant that was already good as dead, so I just put it back. I still got a red dragon-typical and a dente-typical.
By DragonsEye
NightRaider wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:24 pmLearned that the hard way with a mini orchid a year or so back. For some reason I just assumed it was in a decent mix, but no it was just a pure lfs plug that rotted the roots off and I had no idea why it wasn't growing until I finally went to repot it. It's recovering now, but that really got on my nerves.
I'm assuming you have a Phalanopsis of some sort. Actually, growing orchids in straight sphag is totally doable --- IF your conditions are right, and IF you know what you're doing. However, those criteria eliminate the vast majority of the human population. It definitely is not a good media for a newbie. Even though I have grown different orchids successfully in straight sphag, it still is not my media of choice for most genera.
NightRaider liked this
By Nepenthes0260
As others said, unless the plant comes with a label for a specific cultivar, it is considered a typical. While it is likely that those plants are TCed Dente and Akai Ryu or some close variation, without a label they're still typicals at the end of the day. To differentiate them from other more "typical" looking typicals in your collection you can always add a quick description such as "red" or "short teeth" to your label (note the double quotes- not to be confused with single quotes for cultivars).
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:52 am As others said, unless the plant comes with a label for a specific cultivar, it is considered a typical. While it is likely that those plants are TCed Dente and Akai Ryu or some close variation, without a label they're still typicals at the end of the day. To differentiate them from other more "typical" looking typicals in your collection you can always add a quick description such as "red" or "short teeth" to your label (note the double quotes- not to be confused with single quotes for cultivars).
Ok, when (if) I get labels for them, I'll do that!

Thank you everyone who gave me advice. I really appriciate it!
Nepenthes0260 liked this

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!