FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Brendon
i am thinking abotu getting some live sphagnum moss for my carnivorous plants but dont know anything about the subject.... where do i get it, how do i start the growing process, how do i water it, how do i plant it? i dont know anything about it... could someone plz answer these questions and give me some tips? it would be extremely helpful. thx:)
By Ronnie
You can buy it from most CP stores, including the store matt and steve run.
They like to be moist/wet and like to hold water.
Just lay it onto some sphagnum peat, but it can grow on nothing really, they don't have an assigned root system.
They seem to like bright indirect light best, direct like seems to make there tips go brown.
Sphagnum can be a terribly slow grower and isn't very erwarding, unless your planning to use it to decorate your CP pots?

Goodluck!!

Ron.
By carnivorous1123
i was planning on getting some to line my terrarium with and once i get a cfl i will plant seeds and stuff in it :P i have a fluorescent in now but only 15 watts so i keep the seeds in a pot close to the bubl
By RLK
i am getting a few strands from steve and matt as well. it seems like it will be a very attractive thing to grow. course i like the way moss looks :)

~RLK
By HarrisAz
sphagnum moss looks kinda like a star from above.
By Grey
I love sphagnum. I prefer either the dead stuff or the really alive, bright green stuff.

If you're in the UK, stores like B&Q and Focus sell bags of live sphagnum moss. It can hold 20x it's weight in water and is quite impressive, it looks like an alien seaweed lol.

To rinse it out, I put some in a collinder and ran some distilled water through it. A warning though, if you buy the stuff in a sealed or airtight bag, let it air first once you've opened it -- it reeks! That smell does go off, though.

Also, I suggest wearing gloves xD. Good luck!
By Wire Man
The Flytrap Farm usually has live sphagnum in their pots that they sell their plants in.

To plant it you just have to place some clippings on a wet surface. Java moss might work as well. It's easy to find in aquarium shops and is nearly impossible to kill.
By archimago
I used dried sphagnum. I look for heads and cut them off, moisten them and put them under fluorescents in an old flytrap death cube. After a while, it started getting a greenish cast. Eventually it started sprouting new green stuff. I have it in a windowsill with indirect sunlight now, and it's almost full of live stuff.
It takes some time, but if you can get it to grow this way, you won't worry about being able to keep it alive.
By dantt99
If I buy one strand of Sphagnum moss, will it make more? :D lol
By Steve_D
dantt99 wrote:If I buy one strand of Sphagnum moss, will it make more?
Yes. :) We sell starter packs of live sphagnum moss at FlytrapStore.com that consist of perhaps 5-10 nice strands of growing sphagnum moss, enough to lay in the bottom of a deep plastic tray, expose to light, keep relatively cool and moist, and watch grow (it's slow, so be patient; it grows faster once it is established, which can take a couple months or so).

Live Sphagnum Moss at FlytrapStore.com
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/growin ... -moss.html
Steve_D liked this
By dantt99
Cool. So basically you just get a plastic bin, put moss in, keep wet and lit, and it will slowly grow? Thanks
By dantt99
Sorry for double post but do you just use moss for growing cps or what benefit does it have?
By HarrisAz
i'll tell ya.

propagation:its easy to do VFT leaf pulling in live sphagnum moss.very easy.
i nvr had strike on vft pulling b4 till John recommend me to use
live sphagnum moss.in 3weeks,it strikes !lol
clean:its clean and not disgusting as algae wont grow

and some more!
By Daniel_G
i had a stirke (i think)
on dead spagnum (again i think) after i let the pulling float in water for about a week :D but i pulled the strike of by accident lol
Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!