FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By AndyTheTaco
Where I can get cheap live sphagnum moss (doesn't have to be a lot because I want to farm it first) for a top dressing my cp plants or water plants, One question, can they resist a lot of direct sun?

Sent from my LG-K530 using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
this is my first time growing/dealing with live spaghnum moss and I'm in NC, our weather has been and stayed pretty warm late in the fall so far and the moss we purchased came from Alaska, which is a solid 20 degrees cooler year round I noticed in the spot I keep it on our covered porch it was still getting pretty direct evening sun as it crosses over the tree lines and it was growing fairly poorly, it was growing just not much difference after two months at all, I hear people talking about theirs growing like crazy -- mine was not.

I ended up raising the water level in my tray and almost submerge it now with just the growing tips and a little more exposed and its handled the sunny spot no problem now.

the one nep we have in a windowsill in the kitchen, the topdressing is still alive after a little over two months, its not all luscious and fluffy or growing crazily like I see in greenhouse or terrarium setups but in the open air of our house in a window with like 40% humidity, its continued staying its nice greens and reds and hadn't dried out/died off.

I was misting it at least once a day but now I just let it be and top water a little more frequently

too much direct sun will brown/burn the tips but it seems to recover nicely/without too much fuss. the higher water table definitely made a difference for me there also.

/amateur feedback.
By AndyTheTaco
riveraXVX wrote:this is my first time growing/dealing with live spaghnum moss and I'm in NC, our weather has been and stayed pretty warm late in the fall so far and the moss we purchased came from Alaska, which is a solid 20 degrees cooler year round I noticed in the spot I keep it on our covered porch it was still getting pretty direct evening sun as it crosses over the tree lines and it was growing fairly poorly, it was growing just not much difference after two months at all, I hear people talking about theirs growing like crazy -- mine was not.

I ended up raising the water level in my tray and almost submerge it now with just the growing tips and a little more exposed and its handled the sunny spot no problem now.

the one nep we have in a windowsill in the kitchen, the topdressing is still alive after a little over two months, its not all luscious and fluffy or growing crazily like I see in greenhouse or terrarium setups but in the open air of our house in a window with like 40% humidity, its continued staying its nice greens and reds and hadn't dried out/died off.

I was misting it at least once a day but now I just let it be and top water a little more frequently

too much direct sun will brown/burn the tips but it seems to recover nicely/without too much fuss. the higher water table definitely made a difference for me there also.

/amateur feedback.
Happy to hear! Where did you purches and how much? And here is really humid!

Sent from my LG-K530 using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
I'll PM you a link to who/what I bought on ebay as well as a photo of what it translated into in a 10x20 tray
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!