lights for a noob

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants
Mark L

lights for a noob

by Mark L » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:43 am

I just ordered 17 different plants and I plan on growing several inside and need light recommendations. The specific plants staying inside are: cephalotus follicularis, drosera capensis, drosera capillaris, drosera spatulata, pinguicula primuliflora. I would appreciate specific light recommendations, preferably with links. My budget is pretty small, but I don't mind paying a little extra for a quality light.

Cross

Re: lights for a noob

by Cross » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Mark L wrote:I just ordered 17 different plants and I plan on growing several inside and need light recommendations. The specific plants staying inside are: cephalotus follicularis, drosera capensis, drosera capillaris, drosera spatulata, pinguicula primuliflora. I would appreciate specific light recommendations, preferably with links. My budget is pretty small, but I don't mind paying a little extra for a quality light.
A lot of people use t5 lights. I use desk lamps with 5k Kelvin, 1650 lumen bulbs. I have 3 lights. Mine are simply great value brands. They were down the aisle from the general lights. I think they were maybe 15.00 for a 4 pack. Sky blue box.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SundewWolf

by SundewWolf » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:58 pm

There’s some Yescom LED panels for about $20 each on Amazon if you’re interested in that. They work pretty well from what I’ve seen so far. Also there’s some decent LED lights at the hardware stores, not sure what your exact budget is.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

Mark L

by Mark L » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:57 pm

SundewWolf wrote:There’s some Yescom LED panels for about $20 each on Amazon if you’re interested in that. They work pretty well from what I’ve seen so far. Also there’s some decent LED lights at the hardware stores, not sure what your exact budget is.

I have been doing a lot of looking around for a good led light, and there are so many lights with decent reviews all at varying price points. one light i looked at was VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series V300, it has good reviews at a price i like. my only concern is the 300W power level is that enough for my selected plants? I have seen several people recommend 600W for carnivorous plants, but i dont have that many inside so my overall grow space is 2x2" or less. Would i then need the 600W or is 300W sufficient for my number of plants?

SundewWolf

by SundewWolf » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm

Mark L wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:There’s some Yescom LED panels for about $20 each on Amazon if you’re interested in that. They work pretty well from what I’ve seen so far. Also there’s some decent LED lights at the hardware stores, not sure what your exact budget is.

I have been doing a lot of looking around for a good led light, and there are so many lights with decent reviews all at varying price points. one light i looked at was VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series V300, it has good reviews at a price i like. my only concern is the 300W power level is that enough for my selected plants? I have seen several people recommend 600W for carnivorous plants, but i dont have that many inside so my overall grow space is 2x2" or less. Would i then need the 600W or is 300W sufficient for my number of plants?

There was a discussion on this forum I asked a short while ago and it seems like the wattage doesn't really matter. how-big-of-a-factor-is-the-wattage-of-leds-t41461.html
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

Return to Artificial Lighting