FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Heather T
mdeford09 recommended:
6500k fluorescent
for my tiny new VFT, and it does indeed look as if I have to get moving on the issue of providing adequate light.

OK, so as luck would have it, there is a hydroponic specialty store 5 minutes from my house - and hopefully I can pick up either a fluorescent bulb or maybe even a small lamp for Junior. I'm walking on tenterhooks, because I've decided it's really important to me (both in principle and in practice) that this plant both survives AND thrives.

I went by there this morning, but they were closed today (opening tomorrow at 10 a.m.). I'll be there with bells on - and/but, in the event that they don't have what I'm looking for (the reviews of the store featured some dissatisfied comments from people who are novices), I'd like to take a look-see at the Flytrap care store; perhaps there are small lamps for sale there?

I'll also post this in an area where maybe the admins will be sure to see it. Are the admins also the proprietors of the store?
By Matt
Heather T wrote:I'd like to take a look-see at the Flytrap care store; perhaps there are small lamps for sale there?
We don't sell any lights in the FlytrapStore, primarily because we don't believe Flytraps should ever be grown under artificial lighting for the long term. The vast majority of people struggle to keep them alive in such conditions, and even when grown under lights by experts, Flytraps are not as healthy as they would be when receiving natural sunlight.

You don't need to go to a specialty lighting store to get something that would work though. Any big department store or home improvement store will sell fluorescent lighting fixtures and 6500K bulbs.
Heather T wrote:Are the admins also the proprietors of the store?
Yes. I (Matt) do most of the administration duties here, with the help of a few other moderators. Leah (my wife and FlytrapStore business partner) is also an administrator here, but she is rarely active on the forums.
Matt liked this
By Heather T
Hi, Matt, thanks for your helpful answer.

I had mentioned previously in one of my posts that I have this little guy in my southern-facing kitchen window; the place in the house that receives the very most light during the day - I am, however, here in the Frozen North of Canada - and we have what we have in the way of sunlight, unfortunately.

One of the other members suggested fluorescent lighting for just a few more hours in the day - and I do have a light on the topmost part of the window, but I'm sceptical that this will be/has been, sufficient.

In any event, as Fall is now approaching and we'll be getting even less sunlight in the coming months, my new goal is to attempt to bring this plant through the winter if at all possible.

I'll post updates as they occur, and if my efforts ultimately come to nothing (and even if they succeed), I'm very interested in your store and what it has to offer.

One last question: do you ship to Canada, by any chance?
By Matt
Winter is one of the few times of year, especially at our northern latitudes, that growing under lights can be done (for just a few months) and the plants can actually benefit from it.

The last few winters we've not had sufficient space in our greenhouses, so we've moved quite a few plants into the garage under artificial lighting. They do fine there through the winter, though not as well as the plants in the greenhouses on the top shelf receiving lots of sunlight, until we can get them back outside in the spring.

If you could get a fluorescent lighting fixture and just use it through the winter until the chance of freeze and frost is past in the spring, then move the flytrap outside, that would probably work out fine assuming the plant is well cared for.
Heather T wrote:One last question: do you ship to Canada, by any chance?
We only ship plants in sterile tissue culture outside of the US and only during the fall, winter and early spring months. We've shipped quite a few tissue culture plants to Canada in years passed.

This is our page listing the Dionaea we have sold before:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/intern ... es-dionaea

Many of those will be available again this fall, probably in late October.

If you're interested in ordering something, be sure to familiarize yourself with the Terms & Conditions before placing an order:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/about-sterile-cultures
Matt liked this
By mdeford09
Matt is correct that this should not be the flytraps only source of light.

But adding a bulb like this to a flytrap that is currently getting the majority of its light in a window is a great thing to do as it helps quite a bit and the bulbs cheap and simple. (In case you didn't catch it in the post, Matt, this is what I meant... Add a bulb to increase the light if a plant is a little light deficient)

Matt is also correct that no special grow lights are needed. Just get yourself a simple lamp that can be pointed and go to any hardware store or any walmart like store and buy a Compact Fluorescent rated at 6500K and keep it around 8-10 inches above the plant. :)
mdeford09 liked this
By Heather T
Dear Matt and mdeford09: Ohhhh **boy**, am I ever happy with all of this wonderful info you are sending my way!! Thank you so so much - I will follow your advice and continue working towards helping this little plant thrive!!
By Anymal911
Extra info: You can get a desk lamp for as little as five bucks at Walmart, and I got a pack of two 13W 6500k CLF bulbs at my local grocery store for less than three bucks. Good luck! :)
Anymal911 liked this
By Heather T
Thank you ALL for your info - and I will keep the small lamp in mind for any possible future need - thank you anyma/911.

And thanks to you all, I was able to walk into the hydroponic store like a boss at 10:15 this a.m., and ask for what I needed with confidence. This'll be going up later today - pic to follow when I can get it done.

Cheers!
Heather T
Attachments:
6400KLight.jpg
6400KLight.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 4698 times

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!