FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
I noticed two of my plants I've been growing out over the last year decided to put out their first mature pitchers. My H. Heterodoxa which got lost in the mail over the holiday last Christmas for almost a month post371652.html#p371652 as well as my seed grown Darlingtonia I planted I think around July of last year. Had them in the fridge for way longer than I probably should have but I got 3 germination from 5 seeds and two of them are putting out their first mature pitchers. exciting to see all of these little plants starting to develop into their adult forms. For me, that's one of the most satisfying parts of growing and why I opt for the smaller plants when I buy them.
Attachments:
20211117_180800.jpg
20211117_180800.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2409 times
20211117_180822.jpg
20211117_180822.jpg (798.28 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
ChefDean, MaxVft, Supercazzola and 1 others liked this
By thepitchergrower
Carnies wrote:I'm gonna need to get some of that live spag!
I need some too. Ive had some luck growing the dried sphag from trades. The ones use for wrapping roots...
By Cosmickitty
Would live spag moss be environmentally friendly? I know peat isn’t bad but I’ve read conflicting things about moss… but live would imply you can grow it right?
By thepitchergrower
From what I read, it grows pretty slowly. Even in the wild they have to harvest a patch in 11 year interevels. If I remember correctly.
By Apollyon
Well what I did is every so often I'd break the heads and cover the surface while the original moss grew a new head and multiplied it that way. I feed maxsea to it every 3 weeks or so but I don't overdo it. high humidity is necessary for it to really thrive so greenhouse or humid climates are best. domes work. I've harvested top layers several times and have created more beds over the last year. Next year I'll grow some outside. It grows slow but probably not as slow as you think. As far as harvesting, they do it on a grand scale with large amounts so that's probably why. for top dressings for your plants you could probably make it happen in a year with a gallon from etsy.
Cosmickitty liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!