FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Doomsday
Smooter80 wrote:Dude. What the heck is that turning into? I swear I see a paw growing now. ;)
Haha, yup! It looks like it, a bit. That part kind of reminds me of a molting tarantula.

I'm excited to see what comes out of this thing.
By tannerm
Doomsday wrote:Image
I want one Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By tannerm
Doomsday wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Doomsday wrote:Image
I want one Image

I'm hoping to have some for trade/sale in the coming months. :)
That one basically looks ready to go :p

Do you know IF it's true about them being repotted? I've heard they have VERY sensitive roots and will even die if their roots touch the sides of the pot

By Shadowtski
I believe they can be transplanted easily when they are seedlings. Bigger than that, it can go either way. The old-school books say Drosophyllum can't be transplanted or even transported. (Slack)

Recent posts say otherwise. Hollyhock had a Squirrel dig up her Drosophyllum. She replanted it. It survived, flowered, and produced seed for her. But then, Hollyhock can grow anything! One large West Coast CP nursery sells and ships potted Drosophyllums.

I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Good growing,
Mike
By tannerm
Shadowtski wrote:I believe they can be transplanted easily when they are seedlings. Bigger than that, it can go either way. The old-school books say Drosophyllum can't be transplanted or even transported. (Slack)

Recent posts say otherwise. Hollyhock had a Squirrel dig up her Drosophyllum. She replanted it. It survived, flowered, and produced seed for her. But then, Hollyhock can grow anything! One large West Coast CP nursery sells and ships potted Drosophyllums.

I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Good growing,
Mike
So true, yeah! I kind of want to grow one outside, but I'm not sure how it would do in the winter here (I live on the coast in California, so it never gets below 40 at night, but still...)

By Doomsday
This one is definitely a nice size, but in replating it, I snapped the root system off (because it had formed a callus at the base between th e plant and roots and that was brittle. It's been growing perfectly fine, but I need to induce new roots on it before I can plate it out. I also want to get it to divide a few times, before that.

I'm not sure how they respond in-vivo to root shock (I've heard bad things), but in-vitro, they are able to handle it just fine.

I do think they'd be able to survive for you outdoors, especially if you don't go below freezing. I've heard they can even handle quick frosts, so 40's shouldn't be too bad.
By tannerm
Doomsday wrote:This one is definitely a nice size, but in replating it, I snapped the root system off (because it had formed a callus at the base between th e plant and roots and that was brittle. It's been growing perfectly fine, but I need to induce new roots on it before I can plate it out. I also want to get it to divide a few times, before that.

I'm not sure how they respond in-vivo to root shock (I've heard bad things), but in-vitro, they are able to handle it just fine.

I do think they'd be able to survive for you outdoors, especially if you don't go below freezing. I've heard they can even handle quick frosts, so 40's shouldn't be too bad.
Oh no, that's not good!

Yes, I've heard they're very delicate when it comes to their roots.

Awesome, that's good to hear. And yeah, it doesn't rain too often either. Usually a few times a month in the winter/spring and that's about it (though it has been raining more lately).

When do you think you'll have some ready?

By tannerm
Smooter80 wrote:I have two that have been outside all Winter. They have seen some nights down to 28F and know they can take lower temps.
That's good to hear. Have they grown at all though?

By Smooter80
They grow but much slower. They always have new leaves coming in. They come from a Mediterranean climate so this is probably somewhat close to what they get in the wild. You will have no issues growing them in your climate.
By tannerm
Smooter80 wrote:They grow but much slower. They always have new leaves coming in. They come from a Mediterranean climate so this is probably somewhat close to what they get in the wild. You will have no issues growing them in your climate.
Awesome! I just want to make sure it doesn't get too wet. I have a sundew pot outside that has been staying pretty damp due to the rains and less intense sun in the winter here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Doomsday
tannerm wrote:
Doomsday wrote:This one is definitely a nice size, but in replating it, I snapped the root system off (because it had formed a callus at the base between th e plant and roots and that was brittle. It's been growing perfectly fine, but I need to induce new roots on it before I can plate it out. I also want to get it to divide a few times, before that.

Oh no, that's not good!

Yes, I've heard they're very delicate when it comes to their roots.

Awesome, that's good to hear. And yeah, it doesn't rain too often either. Usually a few times a month in the winter/spring and that's about it (though it has been raining more lately).

When do you think you'll have some ready?

I'm hoping to have some (limited stock) Drosophyllum plants ready for shipping by mid-Spring/Summer. I see that both of my plants are making offshoots under the media, right now, so in a few weeks, I'm going to remove those from the mother plants, and put them on multiplication medium to get some stock going.

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!