FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By El_Gideon
Does anyone know a good website or video that tells how to do leaf pullings with a venus fly trap?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk
By Mawy_Plants
Leaf pulls off Dionaea are relatively easy... I've had decent success with striking them this past season.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/p ... afPullings

If you are repotting the plant, you'll want to tug a leaf off with the white portion (rhizome) still intact. A clean removal as opposed to the leaf snapping off - commonly referred to as a cutting, often done successfully with Drosera. I don't believe cuttings work well with Dionaea. I've also managed to pull off roots with the pulling this way, I planted the entire piece and sprouted up a plantlet after some time, roughly a few months, in the same pot as mother plant.

If the plant is still nestled in its' pot, you can still take a pulling, though it takes a bit more work. I've been able to do it with a plant whose rhizome is slightly above the top soil. This way, I am able to remove a single leaf cleanly from green trap to white rhizome.
By riveraXVX
if repotting super easy grab really really close to the base of a leaf, pluck it off in one quick motion as noted above! I put ours in the same pots with the mother plant or if its all one type of plant I might put multiple in a new pot and label it. if I have a lot of stuff to pull maybe just a big bed of LFSM for it all and marked off sections

usually we just put them with mother pots though no rhyme or reason to it otherwise our way outdoors isn't exactly scientific by any means but we have baby plantlets sprouting up constantly in all our pots this way

if I see a leaf has started to go bad on a flytrap even the first sign of it I pluck it getting some of the rhizome and put it slightly into the medium
By El_Gideon
Thx for the comments, will try when repotting. How long does it take to see new life pop up?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk
Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!