FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By dvg
Here is a photo of the Catopsis berteroniana, just out of the bag, that I received from Wistuba in October of last year. It is potted up into a solo mix of coarse perlite. The plant is still small, standing only about a couple of inches tall.

The title 'Lamparas de la selva' is the common South American name for these plants, meaning 'jungle lanterns', due to their glowing bright yellow color and epiphytic proclivity for growing on bare tree branches or telephone wires.

Whether these plants are truly carnivorous or not is still unclear, although they do readily attract and capture insects.

I have been trying to add this particular bromeliad to my collection for a couple of years now, so I am happy to finally see it here.

* Special thanks to Carnivoure12 for his help with some of the finer points in Spanish translation.

And here is an update on my Catopsis berteroniana. It has almost doubled in size, growing from about two inches to just over 3.5 inches, since I got it.

It is growing in a four inch pot, in straight perlite and it gets fed the occasional fruit fly from time to time.

dvg
dvg liked this

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!