FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
A simple electric space heater will work great, but it'll cost you to keep it running if you're electricity is anything like the price of ours.

This is what I'm doing for my non-carnivorous greenhouse. I'm going to stack up five gallon buckets painted black and filled with water on the back wall to act as a heat storage area. Obviously this won't keep the greenhouse from getting cold, but it definitely ought to keep it from freezing.

Water by nature has excellent thermal mass, and this makes it really good for this application. But, considering the drought you've got, IDK if you'll be able to fill all those five gallon buckets. You've got a pretty small greenhouse, however, so I suspect you'll be able to if you start filling now.

Also, make a curtain that you can put over the greenhouse at night. Most of the greenhouse's heat is lost at night. Another thing you could do is put another layer of greenhouse plastic over your greenhouse for the winter to create some dead air space to act as insulation.
By katya_dog1
Insulating with bubble wrap ought to take you through winter, but do get a supplemental heater just in case.
Not what you would expect...

@andynorth, trust me. I did not tarry very long[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!