FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By AnitaB
I just got some sundew seeds( Drosera capensis) from the seed thread and I got some VFT seeds I ordered from ebay. I hope they are VFT anyway. Although they didn't come from china, they were 3$ for100, Ill see what comes up if anything. I'm still waiting for my sundews to sprout. I planted them last week. I did get the new Zealand sphagnum and a propagation tray with a lid. I'll update with pics , as soon as they sprout. :D
AnitaB liked this
By riveraXVX
best of luck but $3 for 100 VFT seeds, are almost 100% for certain not going to end up being VFT seeds.

you should expect to pay around $1 per seed from a reputable grower/nursery +/-
By AnitaB
yeah, I knew that when I bought them.(too good to be true) I figured they were probably old seeds. I'm gonna call them my mystery plants.
By riveraXVX
AnitaB wrote:yeah, I knew that when I bought them.(too good to be true) I figured they were probably old seeds. I'm gonna call them my mystery plants.
I didn't mean old seeds I just meant seeds from other plants, I see a lot of starfruits and random ditch weeds out there from those kinda deals and never a "hey look actual fly traps!"
By AnitaB
yeah probably weeds. It came from carnivorous plant seller so it said. . the seeds looked like VFt seeds. I'm going to buy a plant from the store here soon.
By FlyTrap Hunter
AnitaB wrote:I know my sundrew seeds :D are good.
It bothers me when people get deals like 100 Fly Trap seeds for $3 because they are either fake or stolen. Dont support poachers and thieves please. Thank you.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By AnitaB
my mystery seeds have started to sprout. So small they didn't show up in the picture I took. ( stem w/ 2 tiny oval leaves on top) Not sure what VFTs look like when just sprouted. ( hoping maybe VFTs :roll: )
Sundrews haven't come up yet but I understand it may take more time. 8-)
AnitaB liked this
By AnitaB
My sundrews sprouted. They're real small still (didn't even show up in the picture.) When do I start feeding them? I'm thinking in a few weeks when they show stems, but just not sure. I have read about sundrews, but its my first time growing them. I'm going to get bloodworms and crush em real small and use an eye dropper. Any suggestions, comments will be appreciated.
I did order VFT seeds from the store, I expect them in tomorrows mail.
By Shadowtski
AnitaB wrote:My sundrews sprouted. They're real small still (didn't even show up in the picture.) When do I start feeding them? I'm thinking in a few weeks when they show stems, but just not sure. I have read about sundrews, but its my first time growing them. I'm going to get bloodworms and crush em real small and use an eye dropper. Any suggestions, comments will be appreciated.
I did order VFT seeds from the store, I expect them in tomorrows mail.
I wait a few months at least.
Don't rush them.
Congrats, by the way, on successfully germinating them.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By AnitaB
I just planted my VFT seeds, I even got extra pack and couldn't stop myself, planted those too. I ordered from The flytrap store and the seeds somehow fell out of the envelope and they sent replacements, as soon as I planted them, I found the original seeds I thought I didn't get.they didn't charge me for them, They didn't call me a dumba**. although the hole in the bag was to small for the tube of seeds to get out. doesn't matter, considered it a mystery. I hope to have lots of sprouts soon, maybe by then my Sundews will be large enough to show in a photo. Ive ordered some more from the Community seed bank, I'll document those also as they grow. I'm still going to get a VFT (young one) from the store.
By AnitaB
My VFT seeds are sprouting :D I think algae is killing my sundews, I still have a few though. I take the top off my seedling tray at night now, to lower the humidity. I haven't seen any new algae. Now I'm waiting on my second set of sundews to sprout. I wish they were large enough to see without a magnifier. Soon I hope :?
By AnitaB
All my seedlings died due to algae. I got some silica sand to go with the new Zealand moss. I mixed them half/half. hope that fixes the algae problem. I'm going to get more VFT seeds and some sundews also. I hope to be back soon with good news of my plants growing.
By bananaman
AnitaB wrote:All my seedlings died due to algae. I got some silica sand to go with the new Zealand moss. I mixed them half/half. hope that fixes the algae problem. I'm going to get more VFT seeds and some sundews also. I hope to be back soon with good news of my plants growing.
You should rinse your medium especially for seedlings — it makes a huge difference. When I first got into the hobby, I lost quite a few seedlings because of algae/mold/other stuff that grew on unrinsed media. Rinsing it gives you at least another month or more before anything starts to grow.

I might have some extra sundew seeds I could send your way, if you’d like (I’m all out of flytrap seeds though).
By AnitaB
hi banannaman , actually I did rinse my medium. I washed it 3 times until the tds was 0. I think I kept it to humid with the cover on. I lost all my seedlings after about a month. I did order more fly trap seeds and I got some more from the seed bank. I'm going to try again real soon. I have an empty 45 gal fish tank with high output florescent lighting, thinking of making a huge terrarium. :roll:
Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!