FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Darren63
Hello, I'm Darren and I've got questions...
Having bonded with my tiny flytrap more than with any previous plant I want to grow it to a level where local cats start disappearing ;-)
It's a little pale at the moment but I've got it on a shelf in a very bright, south facing window. I'm having problems finding pure enough water and it hasn't rained here in Manchester UK for weeks.
I'd really appreciate all and any tips and pointers to previous threads/posts for an experienced gardener but newbie to indoor carnivorous plants
By Darren63
Even in my region? I'm in NW England.
Satisfyingly I dropped a small woodlouse in earlier and it was snapped up. I quite like observing it & I'm not sure winter temps would be good here.
I definitely want it to be a part of my house plant collection...
By SundewWolf
Darren63 wrote:I definitely want it to be a part of my house plant collection...
Unfortunately nature doesn't care about that.

You can grow it inside but it will grow poorly after a few years, and likely die, unless you get really good grow lights... and you would have to at least stick it in the refrigerator for the winter months so that it experiences dormancy (they will die without it). Still, with that method the chance for rot is a bit high...fungicide helps but, idk, just not my preferred method...Takes up space, becomes annoying with a lot of plants, have to mess with fungicide, etc. "Short photoperiod" dormancy by decreasing light hours is not an option either. What is the coldest it gets there? if you have a garage you can make a heated cold frame with some reptile heating cable and keep it just above freezing all winter. VFT's really suffer prolonged freezes, but "hovering" dormant a few degrees above freezing is good for giving them a completed rest cycle, then they grow at a natural pace acclimating in the spring time, etc.
By Fieldofscreams
1. After it has entered dormancy from being outside you can bring it inside and put it in a garage/shed next to a window (S, E or W facing), cool basement with artificial light or something similar. Then in the spring you put it back outside.

2. No
By schmeg
Darren63 wrote:can't get rain or distilled water?
Every grocery store of modest size carries distilled water. It's different from spring water, mineral water, etc. Commonly used for steam irons.
By Kwient
schmeg wrote:
Darren63 wrote:can't get rain or distilled water?
Every grocery store of modest size carries distilled water. It's different from spring water, mineral water, etc. Commonly used for steam irons.
It can also be labeled demineralised water, you can buy it in your supermarket. In our grocery store it is at the “clean your house” section, I rather not go there but sometimes you have toImage

Dont worry about dormancy yet, first get your plant outside cause the weather is great for them now.
I live in the Netherlands and we have similar weather as you do. I grow them outside year round.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!