FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By LAKJP
Pictures and opinions on Red Piranha, Sawtooth, B52 and Big Mouth please!
By weaver
LAKJP wrote:Pictures and opinions on Red Piranha, Sawtooth, B52 and Big Mouth please!
Red Piranha:

This specific cultivar has marginal lashes (teeth) that remind me a lot of ‘Dentate Traps’, but is of course a red variant of this plant. I just recently acquired mine from FTS and I really like it so far. I have read that some specific drawbacks of Red Piranha is that it puts more emphasis on dividing rather than producing large, mature plants.

Sawtooth:

I also just recently acquired this from FTS. This cultivar has marginal lashes that have sharp teeth that resemble a saw blade (hence its name). It produces more decumbent foliage (low lying). I have seen some pictures of the inner surface of the traps becoming bright red, while the area around the marginal teeth being more of a yellow-green.

B52:

I love, love, love this cultivar! This is definitely my favorite as of right now ☺ B52 produces huge traps! My biggest trap is a little larger than an inch and half, but I have heard of them reaching two inches! It is fast growing and very vigorous and produces upright leaves during the growing season. The inside of the traps can develop a bright crimson shade of red if exposed to bright light and also has long marginal lashes that can turn red. Overall just a beautiful cultivar, both in sheer size and color.

Big Mouth:

This is also another colorful cultivar! It produces more compact, decumbent foliage (clustered together) and produces a beautiful, yet intense red to purple coloration. I know the traps can get pretty big on this cultivar, but all of my plants are still relatively young so the traps are about average.

To sum up what I stated above:
-In order of most favorite to least: B52, Big Mouth, Sawtooth, then Red Piranha
-If I were to only choose one cultivar to own out of this selection, it would be B52 (overall just a great cultivar)

Sorry if my opinions were not clear enough. I love them all and have more of a bias towards larger trap cultivars. Hope this helped! :)
By LAKJP
Thanks Josh; another question : How big is the biggest trap on Red Piranha and Sawtooth?
By weaver
LAKJP wrote:Thanks Josh; another question : How big is the biggest trap on Red Piranha and Sawtooth?
I am not entirely sure, but I would estimate a little less than an inch (so pretty normal). I'll give you a more accurate measurement, when I get back to my house tonight!
By Lord Death
Very nice photos! I always thought Red Piranha was more of a small clumping VFT than a larger branching one. The insides of my Sawtooth's traps are a lot redder than yours though - is it definitely getting enough light?

This was my Sawtooth in spring two years ago:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8/sdc118351.jpg
By LAKJP
weaver wrote:I am not entirely sure, but I would estimate a little less than an inch (so pretty normal). I'll give you a more accurate measurement, when I get back to my house tonight!
Thanks Josh ! :D

Wow! That Sawtooth looks gorgeous Lord Death!
By weaver
Lord Death wrote:Very nice photos! I always thought Red Piranha was more of a small clumping VFT than a larger branching one. The insides of my Sawtooth's traps are a lot redder than yours though - is it definitely getting enough light?

This was my Sawtooth in spring two years ago:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8/sdc118351.jpg
Ya it is getting enough light (16 hour photoperiod under 4 T8 6500K bulbs--6 to 8 inches away), I literally just got it two days ago from FTS...so it could of lost some its color during the shipping process. And as for Red Piranha I was surprised to see it branching also, because like you said it's more of a small clumping VFT from what I have seen.

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!