FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I've got a large pot of JAWS VFT's with about 9 plants in the pot. One of the JAWS is a large mature plant that I received from Steve and the rest of the plants are young specimins.
The large JAWS is growing like crazy. Sending up new traps all the time and it looks like it's dividing too. But most of the newer traps have longer trap hairs, not the short dentate style "teeth" like the other JAWS plants in the pot. The traps are very large with nice color. But I really love the shorter teeth on the JAWS VFT's.

Why is my large JAWS not looking like a JAWS lately ? Anyone have any idea's ?
By Steve_D
DTDream18 wrote:Why is my large JAWS not looking like a JAWS lately ? Anyone have any idea's ?
Sometimes, especially when young, the Jaws clone produces longer teeth much like a typical Venus Flytrap. I'm not sure why it's doing it now. Do the older traps have the mid-size teeth like Jaws usually does? Although I wonder if there is any possibility I made a mistake and sent the wrong Flytrap, I am usually very attentive and careful to not make mistakes like that. Care to post a photo?
By DTDream18
Unfortunately for me my JAWS flytraps have suffered a serious setback. I left the pot of JAWS out in my garden yesterday and last night and when I went out this morning my large JAWS had been attacked and decimated by an unknown assailant. ( My guess probably a squirrel ) Several of the smaller Jaws were strewn about the ground with very little damage. But my large JAWS was torn up pretty bad. It now has only one fully developed trap and one developing trap left on the plant. It lost about 6 or 7 nice traps.

I replanted it and it looks like it will be fine. From now on I'm not putting any more of my VFT's outside unless I surround them with a chicken wire enclosure. I guess I'll be visiting Lowes this afternoon.

As far as the JAWS growing non-dentate traps Matt and Steve, Could it be that it's not really a JAWS ? Could it be that because the plant was growing outside in bright sunlight for Steve and that I had it growing indoors under artificial lighting that the traps "teeth" are growing longer ?

Anyway I was hoping to order another large JAWS this morning but since they're not in stock right now I guess I'll wait. These plants are definately resilient. I'm confidant my decimated plant will eventually regain it's former glory with some TLC.
Last edited by DTDream18 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DTDream18
Here is a closeup of my large JAWS VFT. This was taken after it was attacked by who knows what and the replanted. As you can see the teeth are not unlike a JAWS at all, but rather elongated. The 2nd picture is of the large JAWS taken several weeks ago. It's in a pot with other varieties of VFT's. Could it be that this VFT isn't a JAWS cultivar ?
Attachments:
JAWS after being attacked.
JAWS after being attacked.
P1030801.JPG (63.65 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
JAWS before being attacked.
JAWS before being attacked.
Jaws (2).JPG (77.5 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
By dantt99
I'm not sure, but those really don't look at all like Jaws, hmmm.... :|
By DTDream18
I have to agree with you Dan. Now that I examine the plant carefully, and compare it to my other JAWS flytraps I have to conclude that it's not a JAWS VFT.
By Nats
I agree, got 3 of these clones myself. That is not a Jaws!
By Steve_D
I'm kind of wondering now too, after looking at the photo. DTDream, do you know or can you estimate about how many Jaws Flytraps have you ordered from FlytrapStore.com this year? I find one recent order for 2 young, bareroot Jaws placed on June 7, 2011. That order was shipped by Matt from Oregon. But there are also at least two other earlier orders that include a Jaws plant, at least one of them shipped by me from New Mexico. Can you guess about how long you have had the Jaws VFT that you suspect may not be a real Jaws?

Is there any possibility that you might have ordered a typical Venus Flytrap or seed-grown Venus Flytrap in the recent past and mistakenly put the Jaws label with that plant or another plant? I don't think that's likely, but I thought of it as a possibility. In your photo annotated with labels, do the two largest traps, one of them with Jaws' usual mid-size teeth and the other one with the long teeth, belong to the same plant, or are they on different plants (it's difficult to determine from the photo). I'm just trying to understand the situation and consider all the possibilities, that's all. If we (Matt or I) made a mistake, we ought to try to make it right. :)
By Matt
That sure doesn't look like the official 'Jaws' cultivar. But it DOES look like the Jaws clone that Mike Szesze is selling. Perhaps that plant came from him? I know you have placed some orders with him.

I have one as well (labeled it "Jaws" - Mike Szesze) that I received in a trade from another forum member here that thought they were getting the real 'Jaws' cultivar when they ordered it from Mike Szesze. I traded them a mature real 'Jaws' for it so they would have what they wanted. It is a nice clone, but it has quite long cilia like the plant that I see in your photos. In fact, the "Jaws" from Mike Szesze that I'm growing looks just like the plant in question.
By Nats
DTDream18 wrote:Unfortunately for me my JAWS flytraps have suffered a serious setback. I left the pot of JAWS out in my garden yesterday and last night and when I went out this morning my large JAWS had been attacked and decimated by an unknown assailant. ( My guess probably a squirrel ) Several of the smaller Jaws were strewn about the ground with very little damage. But my large JAWS was torn up pretty bad. It now has only one fully developed trap and one developing trap left on the plant. It lost about 6 or 7 nice traps.

I replanted it and it looks like it will be fine. From now on I'm not putting any more of my VFT's outside unless I surround them with a chicken wire enclosure. I guess I'll be visiting Lowes this afternoon.

As far as the JAWS growing non-dentate traps Matt and Steve, Could it be that it's not really a JAWS ? Could it be that because the plant was growing outside in bright sunlight for Steve and that I had it growing indoors under artificial lighting that the traps "teeth" are growing longer ?

Anyway I was hoping to order another large JAWS this morning but since they're not in stock right now I guess I'll wait. These plants are definately resilient. I'm confidant my decimated plant will eventually regain it's former glory with some TLC.

That is soooooo irratating and I have had the same problem with squirrels distroying potted plants.
I bought a plastic patio table with 4 plastic slipery legs and I put my plants on that and it helps a lot.
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:That sure doesn't look like the official 'Jaws' cultivar. But it DOES look like the Jaws clone that Mike Szesze is selling.
That's interesting. DTDream, did you by any chance order what was purported to be a "Jaws" from Michael Szesze at carnivorousplantsnursery.com? I'm wondering if those plants he's selling (or sold) as "Jaws" are really "Big Jaws x Big Jaws," the infamous mixup from some months ago, some plants of which have short teeth, some long teeth, while none of them are the real "Jaws" Venus Flytrap clone nor even related to it.
By jamez
I know someone who's spoken to Michael about it. Someone call him and ask if they are the same. The "someone" said that he claims they are the same.
By Matt
jamez wrote:The "someone" said that he claims they are the same.
Well that "someone" is obviously wrong. The "Jaws" that Mike Szesze is selling never has even close to dente-like cilia like the real 'Jaws' has (the defining characteristic of 'Jaws').
Matt liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!