FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
So.... I know it's dormant.... but it says it's a medium sized plant.... but.... am I over thinking this? ..it's a Dionaea m. 'Ginormous' also, what are those things with it? I just thought a medium wouldn't be a sneeze away from a thanos snap of inexistance....ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Cross
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. I told myself it's the size of a fresh division. I mean, do I even complain? Should I? I was just hoping that it would have been older and past this baby phase.

By riveraXVX
is that one of the tiny 2" pots its in also? looks to be, I would in no way shape or form consider that a medium sized division
By salty
Fwiw my ginormous I bought last year looks the same as that one now that it’s dormant. The bigger leaves died off pretty quickly during dormancy verses my typical.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Give it some time. Sometimes the difference between a actively growing and dormant VFT can vary quite a bit. Mine right now are dormant, and although they're not exactly the size of yours, they're still pretty small compared to the size they reached last growing season. The foliage looks like yours, almost submerged into the soil and barely peeking out. So I'd imagine that that plant could reach a decent size when spring rolls around.

And even if it doesn't, the color on that plant's traps is still gorgeous. If it does end up lacking in size, it should make up in color.
By Cross
I just hope it doesn't end up being a microplant lol. ..it's supposed to ginormous lol

By tommyr
Yeah,give it more time and my guess is you bought it from California Carnivores. You almost ALWAYS get extra plants of some type with every pot. usually Utricularia or Sundews.
By King Drosophyllum VI
tommyr wrote:Yeah,give it more time and my guess is you bought it from California Carnivores. You almost ALWAYS get extra plants of some type with every pot. usually Utricularia or Sundews.
I once got some Drosera nidiformis, a D. filiformis, and some other unidentified Drosera. Usually extra plants are Utricularia bisquamata or Drosera Capensis which are often the 'alba' variety. Interestingly I bought some pygmy sundews a few days ago and I had some duckweed in one of the pots.
By Fishkeeper
Looks like moss sprouts to me. They send up those things to spread spores. Shake that pot over one of your others and you might be able to grow some nice moss in the other pots.

I'd wait 'till it comes out of dormancy to pass judgement.
By DTDream18
I bought a Ginormous several years ago from California Carnivores. It was about that size when I got it. But in about a year it grew into a monster.
By Copper2
California Carnivores has DC XL. If this is what their “ginormous” looks like, then I wonder if they should label their DC XL as DC XS.

I’m not sure if I like the free plants in CC’s plants. I don’t want to hurt the extras but I do want to repot
By nagle3092
Copper2 wrote:I’m not sure if I like the free plants in CC’s plants. I don’t want to hurt the extras but I do want to repot
I feel the same way, I just got a seedling Sarracenia Minor from them and the pot was loaded with Drosera Capensis. I ended up pulling the ones out around the seedling and left a huge one in the corner.

By Artchic528
Yup, this surly is what a Venus flytrap from CCs look like. Live sphagnum moss with the flytrap in it and Utricularia growing all throughout the pot. Utricularia, if you didn't know, is an aquatic species of CP, with bladder like roots that act as its traps. That's why it's common name is bladderwort. How it thrives in peat and live moss is beyond my level of knowledge though. Supposedly they are good for catching pests in the peat, but it's debatable how beneficial they are, and if you want that esthetic in your pots. They might also choke out the flytrap if left to grow unchecked, either by suffocating the rhizome or blocking the flytrap's access to sunlight.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!