FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Boricua
Hi. I'm looking forward start a carnivore plant buisness here in Puerto Rico (at the south of the island). As may you know here is always summer or spring because of the temperature. The sun is really hot all year long nomater the temperature. I got some venus flytraps in the past, in the instructions said to put them in the sun for a period of time but every one of the plants burns in about 15 minutes. It is a good idea or for the enviroment is not viable? What kind of carnivorous plants should I grow, what precautions I have to take?
Gracias.
By Jimbok3
Hi, welcome to the forum!! As for your question, I would recomend growing the plants indoors if you want them to survive. I grow all my plants indoors and it's a lot easier to control the environmental conditions, also it cuts down on pests. Hope this helps! ;)
By stitz25b
i visited the carribean for a month this year and i can say that as long as they are slowly acclimatised and given sufficient water then they will do fine....i would shelter more delicate plants like vft, neps and pings in the very hot part of the day
By xr280xr
Boricua wrote:It is a good idea grow carnivorous plants in the Caribbean?
Yep! :D

I think it's fun to grow them anywhere. As far as running a business, growing temperate plants, like venus fly traps, may be a challenge and force you to have to charge higher prices in the end. I'd assume you would need to provide some sort of refrigeration to simulate winter dormancy conditions. You would probably also need to limit their light exposure during that time. During the growth period though, they should love the extra sun when acclimated to it! You could provide shading with screens as needed to prevent burning. When it comes to tropical plants, I would think they'd do well there, though I don't grow them myself.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!