FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Triffid
i was at home flicking through a book about sundews and found out that they live in NSW so i couldn't help myself. i got up and whent down to the pond at the bottom of the road.instead of a sundew i found a bladderwort! at least i think it is that? i need your healp to tell me if it is or isn't and if possible what species is it oh and will it go into flower sice its summer over here? ;)
Attachments:
utric.JPG
utric.JPG (399.17 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Last edited by Triffid on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dantt99
I can't really tell based on the picture and my lack of knowledge on Bladderworts but I'm sure squirt knows what he's talking about :D
By Daniel_G
Found this on wiki,i hope it helps.

The main part of a bladderwort plant always lies beneath the surface of its substrate. Terrestrial species sometimes produce a few photosynthetic leaf-shoots which lie unobtrusively flat against the surface of their soil, but in all species only the flowering stems rise above and are prominent. This means that the terrestrial species are generally visible only while they are in flower, although aquatic species can be observed below the surfaces of ponds and streams
By Triffid
thanks, by the way i just found out what it is. i found it in a book. its Utricularia. Australis! thanks for confirming for me that it IS a bladder wort. thats another tick on the list of cps that i have! :)
By limeslide
squirtoman wrote:Hehehehe isn't taking plants from the wild illegal?
It depends a lot on the state laws. Here, you can collect anything as long as it is not in a state designated place, or if it is endangered. U. australis isn't endangered and I don't think Triffid got it from a park. Anyways, enjoy your plant!
I think it needs to form a dense mat before it flowers, though. It also has to get used to that tub. ;)
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!