FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By goldslinger
Below are pics of clumps on fresh media that I just re-plated from grow media to grow media. Are these VFT clumps about the right size for a typical grow out re-plate or are they too big? I realize they will have to be divided some more in the next plating. These cultures will grow out all the way, will not be re-multiplied, but divided and re-plated a few more times in grow media until I plant them out. The grow media is 1/2 MS, .5ml/L Kinetin, 30 Grams sugar. They are in 4 oz. b.food jars. There is 25ml media in each vessel. Any input would be appreciated as usual.

Thanks!

Gary
Last edited by goldslinger on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
By goldslinger
Hi, Geoff!

Are You saying You think they are approx. twice as big as they should be? That I should have doubled the jar count on these? They are big clusters of very small plantlets, so I don't want to plant out yet. I re-phrased the question in the first post, as maybe You misunderstood. What do You think?

Thanks!

Gary.
By Multiclone
It was my fault I did not read your post right, the jars appeared bigger in the pics than what they actually are.
The guide I use is:
1 plant/small clump per 10ml multi media. 1st and second transfer.
As they grow I double the size of the amount of media per clump. For example 3rd transfer is 20ml media per clump, 4th transfer 40ml of media. What we have to remember is the larger the clump the harder it is for them to multiply because there are more plants competing for the pgrs. If larger clumps are on growth media we have to remember that nutrients will be used a lot quicker than 1 plant on the same amount of media.
There is no fixed rule to this. This is learnt through personal observation and what we want to achieve. When dividing clumps I usually end up with the original plant which is a lot bigger than the just multiplied ones and I have 2 opened containers one which I place larger plants in which can be planted out. The other smaller plants I can remultiply or grow on.

As for your containers in the pictures I would cut them in half or 3rds and place them back on the same amount of media.
Geoff
By goldslinger
Hi, Geoff.

I read Your post 3 times and I think it has sunk into My thick head.
Based on what You typed, what I think I will do is plate quantity 3 1cm clumps in a 4 oz. b.food jar with 25ml multiplication media. (unless I have very few starter cultures to risk contamination, then just 1 clump to jar). The next plate will be the same type of jar, same amount of mult. media, but will put 1 clump (that is larger now) per jar. The next plate, I may go to 8 oz. jars and put 40-50ml grow media in those. Have some more 4 oz. b.food jars with 25ml. multiplication media in those, and I will cut the now much larger clusters into 1cm clumps again, and put the larger plantlets that always occur by now or small clusters of 5 in the 8oz. jars to continue to grow out and have the option of taking the very small plantlet clumps to dump on the smaller b.food jars in groups of 3 again to multiply again ( or the larger jars that might have multiplication media in them).

I think ultimately, the larger 8 oz. jars will be more of a space saver than 3 b.food jars would be, I don't know. Space is becoming an issue lately. I didn't want to put more eggs in a larger basket until I had the contamination licked, but I think I do now. I also have 100 16 oz. deli containers coming as I want to try that, too. I will use the aluminum foil strip in the lid trick when I autoclave those to prevent collapse when they cool. If they don't work out; I like salad at work.
I think I need a 5 Liter beaker as well. :lol:

I have an ALL AMERICAN 75X autoclave coming as well; found a brand new one on e-bay for under 500 Bucks! Now I won't have to transport hot materials up and down the stairs; scary.

btw. do You cut the roots off of any clusters that have them when plating back on multiplication media to prevent rapid growth over multiplication. It seems the cultures I have on mult. media that have roots just grow. I use 2.5ml/L Kinetin on that media. Xeno (Michael) turned Me on to that idea and it makes sense to Me.

I also use .5ml/L on the grow media; should I use non as having ample media is the best thing and it doesn't need it?
Sorry for all the questions!

p.s. How are Your Pings coming along that You wanted to initiate; got those going? My moranensis are like weeds and I have about 100 planted out and twice that many in vitro. Super easy ! I don't know how Australia is on sterile cultures, but I would be happy to send You some tubes of those if You need them. I have some media prepared in some vials ready to go.

I sold more VFT'S at My store than I did Jewelry, Today! I'm going to do a spooky Halloween promotion, too.

Thank You for Your help.

Gary

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!