FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By orios
Hello you all!
Well i know that there is no way of getting vfts cultivars from seed. But i went to a nursery over here and they said they were selling B52s and aka rius. In my country you can not trust any seller haha so i made an inoccent cuestion: those are seed growns? And the seller/owner answered me they were seed growns.
After i told him that cultivars can only be reproduced via vegetative eays to conserve the genetic material and bla bla bla he told me that these two cultivars were... In some way, simillar to dogs...
He said that theese "old" cultivars had theirs generic material so "attached" (i dont know the word in english, i thought attached would fit in) to them that their sons were also cultivars. Like if two bulldogs have a son, they will have bulldogs

So i didnt buy it at all haha. His plants were really bad looking
By bvalente
orios wrote:Hello you all!
Well i know that there is no way of getting vfts cultivars from seed. But i went to a nursery over here and they said they were selling B52s and aka rius. In my country you can not trust any seller haha so i made an inoccent cuestion: those are seed growns? And the seller/owner answered me they were seed growns.
After i told him that cultivars can only be reproduced via vegetative eays to conserve the genetic material and bla bla bla he told me that these two cultivars were... In some way, simillar to dogs...
He said that theese "old" cultivars had theirs generic material so "attached" (i dont know the word in english, i thought attached would fit in) to them that their sons were also cultivars. Like if two bulldogs have a son, they will have bulldogs

So i didnt buy it at all haha. His plants were really bad looking
He is probably lying to you. Seed grown, regardless if it is from two b52's or whatever, are going to be genetically different than the parents. Even in respects to the bulldog analogy. The puppy, yes still a bulldog, is different than its parents. You'd look at the parents to get an idea of its future (height, weight, temperament) but there are still a lot of other factors that could effect it in the long run.

Same concept with seed grown b52's and a direct leaf pulling. The leaf pulling is genetically the same, it is identical. Under good growing conditions, you know exactly what you're going to get. How it will look, coloration, growth patterns, etc.
By orios
Thats what i thought bvalente. Thank you for clearing it out haha

So ofitially, there is absolutely no place in Chile i can get cultivars from
By mnwatson1
Yes, Bvalente's analogy is dead on. Just like the bulldogs, a seed from a B52xB52 pollination will still be a Venus flytrap (species,) but it will never be identical to the parents. It's like saying you bred the bulldogs, and named a female the same name as her mother, then told people they're the exact same dog. The same is true of vfts.
By orios
Thanks you all!
I will have to orders some seeds from FTS then, and when i save some money i will order some awesome cultivars from Matt
By kronos1996
Even so, you should see if any of his plants are interesting or unique! If any of the plants are mostly or totally red I would buy it no matter what because most red clones are the same anyway! VFT's are tough they will recover...
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!