FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By cerber
Hello,
First post in this forum and I have to say, the information here is priceless for a new grower. It is my first plant and I'm immensely thankful for the available information here.

My flytrap grew tremendously since I bought it in a tiny pot in around March. I repotted it in a 10 cm tall pot and used some specialized carnivorous plant soil mix for the new pot.

Light: At first I had it at a window and let it sit outside for 2-4 hours, but ultimately my aim is for it being in my room, in which I get no direct sunlight. For that, I switched to a lamp, using a LED 11w (100W equivalent) bulb at 4000K (cool white) temperature and 1521lm (the best I found at a local general store that fits a normal nightstand lamp). I had my VFT sitting under it for at least 8 hours daily at 25-30 cm distance and since two days ago moved it to about 5-7 cm away for extra light.

What I know: the deformed leaves and traps are due to a recent aphid outbreak, that I'm treating with rapeseed oil-based pesticide (specifically pointed out to me by the store assistant to be appropriate for an indoors flytrap) - so far no issues from it and aphids are dying out, albeit i keep seeing more (first application was 5 days ago). Naturally I water it with distilled water only.

What I don't know: My VFT stays greem with barely any hint of red color. This, I fear, would lead to lack of attraction of insects that do end up in the room (I don't have any significant amount in the room, but the occasional fly/insect seem to ignore it. I've only noticed it captured a spider on its own once. I don't know if my cultivar is supposed to stay green or is it so picky that a the lamp is too weak of a light source for it to turn color.

Questions: Is my VFT sufficient for it's natural functions as is? Is it fine being this color? Is it supposed to only lay on the bottom and not grow up and tall like some others? Might I be missing a finer point in taking care of it?
Attachments:
20190610_225443.jpg
20190610_225443.jpg (313.02 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
Flytrap
Flytrap
20190610_212211.jpg (236.12 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
By salty
Looks ok but could definitely use more light. If keeping it indoors under light you’ll have to come up with a plan to get it to go dormant for a period of time. If you search for dormancy on the forum you’ll be able to find some ideas.
By cerber
Fieldofscreams wrote: Growing them inside usually doesn't work out long term.
I see a lot of posts and discussion on indoor growing under lamps and people seem to be happy. Is there a carnivorous plant that thrives on a window?
salty wrote:If keeping it indoors under light you’ll have to come up with a plan to get it to go dormant for a period of time.
Isn't it too early? Of course I'll set it up in the winter as normal, but why get it dormant now?
By optique
cerber wrote: I see a lot of posts and discussion on indoor growing under lamps and people seem to be happy. Is there a carnivorous plant that thrives on a window?
if you have 3hours+ of direct sun light Nepenthes might be a great window plant.
By Fieldofscreams
"I see a lot of posts and discussion on indoor growing under lamps and people seem to be happy."

What you probably didn't realize is those people are brand new growers who just started growing them. They will get away with it for a season or two, maybe three and then they stop posting here all together, most likely because the plants took a nose dive and died.

Why are you against growing them outside?
By cerber
optique wrote: if you have 3hours+ of direct sun light Nepenthes might be a great window plant.
None of direct one on the window. It's north-facing without any sun directly shining inside.
Fieldofscreams wrote: Why are you against growing them outside?
I don't spend time in the backyard to monitor or even notice them, so it defeats the purpose of me having them if they'll be somewhere I don't go.
By Artchic528
Fieldofscreams wrote:Kids these days, can't go outside once per day for a few minutes to check a plant.
How lazy can you get? Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By Artchic528
Copper2 wrote:I’m a kid, and I make time to be with my plants. I spend at least a few hours with them..... anything to get away from the family :lol:
You give me faith in the next generation, my child. :lol:

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!