FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By red
I just need to know, my typical flytrap in my eyes looks fine, but according to experts on YouTube, my plant is unhealthy

I plan on moving all my temperate plants to a mini bog garden, the conditions my plants are in is, full sunlight most of the day, moist soil, watered from top with distilled water, six inch pot, soil mixture is peat moss,LFSM,sand, and perlite, traps are of average size for a typical (about an inch) traps close rather slow, it takes a second or less, the plant is green mostly, not much red, I live in plant hardiness zone 7b, it seems I’m doing everything right, but something is wrong, so can anyone point anything out, I won’t argue this time I swear.
By red
toiletshorts wrote:Hi Red,

How old is your plant/how long have you had it?

:)

toiletshorts

I’m not sure how old my plant is, it was from Lowe’s in bug biting plant box, so most likely tissue culture, I have had this plant for about 2-3 months since I got it on May 29th after my first one was killed by a bird

I guess we can assume that the plant is a few months old, but there’s no telling with bug biting plants brand, the plant was made via tissue culture, the plant is green but not so much red, so let’s round it’s age to about half a year

The traps close like they should, new growth is green, and it seems to be making more than usual, also my moldy Sarracenia has turned purple, also my purpuera isn’t a purpuera it’s a hybrid between a purpuera and another Sarracenia, purple pitcher plants are short and fat, mine is tall and skinny, so I guess it’s a hybrid between a flava and a purpuera, having the height of a flava and the appearance of a purpuera

But back to my flytrap, I guess it’s age is about half a year but I’m not 100% sure

It’s green mostly, traps close, but rather slow, a second or less
By toiletshorts
red wrote:

toiletshorts

I’m not sure how old my plant is, it was from Lowe’s in bug biting plant box, so most likely tissue culture, I have had this plant for about 2-3 months since I got it on May 29th after my first one was killed by a bird

I guess we can assume that the plant is a few months old, but there’s no telling with bug biting plants brand, the plant was made via tissue culture, the plant is green but not so much red, so let’s round it’s age to about half a year

The traps close like they should, new growth is green, and it seems to be making more than usual, also my moldy Sarracenia has turned purple, also my purpuera isn’t a purpuera it’s a hybrid between a purpuera and another Sarracenia, purple pitcher plants are short and fat, mine is tall and skinny, so I guess it’s a hybrid between a flava and a purpuera, having the height of a flava and the appearance of a purpuera

But back to my flytrap, I guess it’s age is about half a year but I’m not 100% sure

Hmm, I'm pretty new to the vft and cp game myself, so forgive me for sounding like an absolute noob. hopefully this bumps your post up and someone better than me will see it and reply. I'll try my best in the meantime :')

I don't think your plant is sickly, it doesn't look very sick to me :O i agree, it is missing some of the usual smexy vft aesthetiques but it's still relatively young, i suppose. Maybe it needs more time to get going?

When i bought my vft from a hardware store, they put him in the completely wrong soil, wrong water, wrong everything! he looked even smaller and i think he would have died. but so far people have been telling me that:

a) (well, a few people here say to me that) not all vfts turn red. legit google Dionaea Justina Davis. it's such a funny name, i know hahaha but apparently it stays a lime green colour, interestingly enough. so not all vfts turn red, might be a whole funny genetics thing that i am not experienced enough to understand yet, but i wouldn't fear it staying green if you've kept it outside and given it enough sun anyway :)

b) i see new leaves coming up! that's a good sign, imo. imagine if it didn't have any new growths at all and stayed slow and small and green. that'd be much more worrying. My little vft started off green af and small and slow, but suddenly it shot up with a flower (which i trimmed off), more traps, it turned red, and it now has a little baby spawn!! so i think yours will be just fine with some tlc and time.

c) there was also a slight delay in my vft when it tried to close. i think big problems arise when traps don't close at all. I remember reading a bit about slow closing traps, and i think it's to do with the plant going into dormancy due to temperature? Is it quite cold where you are? i'm googling Plant Hardiness Zone B to find out but i don't quite get it lol. as i said, i'm not the most experienced gardener :')

d) shot in the dark - what material of pot are you using?
By red
toiletshorts wrote:
red wrote:

toiletshorts

Hmm, I'm pretty new to the vft and cp game myself, so forgive me for sounding like an absolute noob. hopefully this bumps your post up and someone better than me will see it and reply. I'll try my best in the meantime :')

I don't think your plant is sickly, it doesn't look very sick to me :O i agree, it is missing some of the usual smexy vft aesthetiques but it's still relatively young, i suppose. Maybe it needs more time to get going?

When i bought my vft from a hardware store, they put him in the completely wrong soil, wrong water, wrong everything! he looked even smaller and i think he would have died. but so far people have been telling me that:

a) (well, a few people here say to me that) not all vfts turn red. legit google Dionaea Justina Davis. it's such a funny name, i know hahaha but apparently it stays a lime green colour, interestingly enough. so not all vfts turn red, might be a whole funny genetics thing that i am not experienced enough to understand yet, but i wouldn't fear it staying green if you've kept it outside and given it enough sun anyway :)

b) i see new leaves coming up! that's a good sign, imo. imagine if it didn't have any new growths at all and stayed slow and small and green. that'd be much more worrying. My little vft started off green af and small and slow, but suddenly it shot up with a flower (which i trimmed off), more traps, it turned red, and it now has a little baby spawn!! so i think yours will be just fine with some tlc and time.

c) there was also a slight delay in my vft when it tried to close. i think big problems arise when traps don't close at all. I remember reading a bit about slow closing traps, and i think it's to do with the plant going into dormancy due to temperature? Is it quite cold where you are? i'm googling Plant Hardiness Zone B to find out but i don't quite get it lol. as i said, i'm not the most experienced gardener :')

d) shot in the dark - what material of pot are you using?

The pot is vase like, let me look at the bottom
By red
toilet shorts the pot is made of ceramic

Is that good

Also the rhizome is white and firm
By toiletshorts
I'd say keep that rhizome buried and leave it alone :) it should stay neatly beneath the soil surface.

hmm i think ceramic is fine as long as it's fully glazed. I've read that clay pots leak nutrients into the soil which would affect the vft. I tend to use plastic pots myself
By red
toiletshorts wrote:I'd say keep that rhizome buried and leave it alone :) it should stay neatly beneath the soil surface.

hmm i think ceramic is fine as long as it's fully glazed. I've read that clay pots leak nutrients into the soil which would affect the vft. I tend to use plastic pots myself

https://www.penningtongarden.com/produc ... /ombre-pot
By red
toiletshorts wrote:I'd say keep that rhizome buried and leave it alone :) it should stay neatly beneath the soil surface.

It says it has a beautiful glaze
By toiletshorts
red wrote:

is it glazed on the inside? tho i think if it were a nutrient leak kind of problem, the plant would look worse and more unhealthy. your plant actually looks fine to me, albeit being a little small and a little on the green side. but i'm going to guess these aren't huge problems overall :)

p.s. gotta go, my arduous commute home commenceth! hope someone else helps more than me :'D sorry if i was unhelpful.
By red
toiletshorts wrote:
red wrote:

is it glazed on the inside? tho i think if it were a nutrient leak kind of problem, the plant would look worse and more unhealthy. your plant actually looks fine to me, albeit being a little small and a little on the green side. but i'm going to guess these aren't huge problems overall :)

p.s. gotta go, my arduous commute home commenceth! hope someone else helps more than me :'D sorry if i was unhelpful.

Before you go, I plan on moving all my temperate plants to a mini bog garden
By optique
I think is looks ok for a death cube plant. just keep it in full sun, and it should recover. The one i got from lowes could not even close at all and it is recovering after a full burning of old leaves.

proper care and time is all it takes...

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!