FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Doomsday
I have a Judith Finn nepenthes and a capensis red sundew coming in the mail. Is it possible to overfeed them?? Can i just feed them so they always have a bug on each leaf/pitcher/trap(vft)

If i do would i have to remov the carcasses with tweezers??? I dont see how ovefeeding a plant could d any harm to it if you make sre to not liek teh carcasses mold up.
Doomsday liked this
By kevinqwe
i think we have all agreed that you cannot. but i would not suggest feeding it all the time. you could probably do it during the growing season(late spring-mid summer) but not during like winter or fall. it has to have good sunlight to digest like 5 bugs.

you do not have to use tweezers just leave it there. be careful with the mold though
By tejan24
For venus fly traps I would say you could overfeed it.

I say this because if you feed one trap a fly, it could last any were from 4-7 days to digest, but if you feed many traps on a single venus fly trap all the traps will stay shut for over 14 days on a healthy plant. On a not so healthy plant, I have noticed that a trap might turn black even if its a new trap (considering that the bug is the right size…) so in my own humble opinion. I would only feed one trap at a time. Once the trap opens go ahead and feed another.
By 95slvrZ28
Although what hasn't been said yet is that you really don't need to worry about feeding the plants. It may help them grow a bit faster, but they don't need to be fed by any means. If you're growing them outside they'll catch their own food anyway. (even my plants inside catch their own food in the summer).
By 95slvrZ28
Doomsday wrote:Tru tru... Is that the same for sundews and neps??
Same thing for all carnivorous plants. The bugs act like a fertilizer. They may grow a bit faster, but they don't need it. If they were my plants I wouldn't worry about it. On occasion if I see a bug walking around my house I'll grab him and give it to my VFT just to see it close, but that's for my enjoyment seeing the trap close... :D
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:On occasion if I see a bug walking around my house I'll grab him and give it to my VFT just to see it close, but that's for my enjoyment seeing the trap close... :D
That's exactly how I feed my plants :)
By Doomsday
I understand that I don't HAVE to feed it. I WANT to.
So can't I just feed it all the time and make sure the remains don't rot???? ESP on the sundew?

Also, do sundews and their tentacles curl in on a infer if you poke it?? Would such behavior harm the sundew like a vft???
By 95slvrZ28
I probably wouldn't worry about not having the remains rot. Usually the plant will liquefy everything but the exoskeleton for its nutrition. In nature there isn't anything to pull off the exoskeleton, so I don't think you would have to worry about it.

I don't think touching the sundew will harm it, but it probably won't curl around something that isn't alive. I would also assume trying to trick the plant won't do it any favors...
By Gil
Doomsday wrote:Well I am setting out to settle this once and for all. I am going to make leaf cutting clones of my sundew, and then feed one EVERYTIME it has an open leaf, and the other I wont feed at all.
I'm excited to hear results!
(My plants were outside today and one of them caught three bugs! I was like @_@)

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!