FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By 95slvrZ28
I would be willing to bet anything sold in a retail store is an adult plant. Even if it's not adult (will produce flowers) it will at least be adult sized. Most people would be quite upset with a seedling sized vft.
By Matt
I think wiki234 might be trying to draw a comparison between the FTS store sizing and the size of a plant in a retail store. The plants that Steve and I sell as "young" sized plants are about the size of the plants that you'd find in a retail store, perhaps a bit larger. They're of flowering age, or near flowering age, and will likely flower in the spring.
By wiki234
is it it healthy whether its an adult or not or it matters of how to the plant is treaty?
By emperorsnakehead
is it a good idea if i use ordinary soil to plant vft?
it is because it is so hard to get those called 'sphagnum moss'...
please help...
By dantt99
emperorsnakehead wrote:is it a good idea if i use ordinary soil to plant vft?
No, It is not a good idea at all. If you can't find peat moss, spaghnum moss, or perlite, you should look on MAtts store. I don't know where in the world you are because it isn't on your profile but i saw last night he added 3 of the basic CP soil http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/growin ... edium.html this will work fine.
dantt99 liked this
By Matt
wiki234 wrote:is it it healthy whether its an adult or not or it matters of how to the plant is treaty?
You might need to reword that question. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. My guess is this:
Is a plant healthy whether it is an adult or not? Or does it matter how a plant is treated?
But even those questions don't make much sense to me. The health of a plant and the size of a plant are completely separate things. The health of a plant is determined mostly by its growing conditions, but can be affected by other things such as pests, viruses, etc.
By emperorsnakehead
dantt99 wrote:
emperorsnakehead wrote:is it a good idea if i use ordinary soil to plant vft?
No, It is not a good idea at all. If you can't find peat moss, spaghnum moss, or perlite, you should look on MAtts store. I don't know where in the world you are because it isn't on your profile but i saw last night he added 3 of the basic CP soil http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/growin ... edium.html this will work fine.
thanks man..
but i live in malaysia..
so it is a bit too hard to get that type of soil form matt..:( :( :(
By wiki234
can you make your own spagnum moss naturally or you just buy it?
By Steve_D
emperorsnakehead wrote:but i live in malaysia..
so it is a bit too hard to get that type of soil
Then use coir (coconut husk pith) mixed with perlite or sand or polystyrene foam bits or other inert, inorganic ingredients.

However, coir must be carefully desalinated before use. Coir should be soaked for 10-12 hours in distilled or rain water, then drained and soaked again, 10 times or more, until the TDS (total dissolved solids) in the drained water is consistently less than 50 ppm (parts per million).

So if one chooses to use coir, a cheap TDS meter is a good investment.

Best wishes and good luck.

Malaysia is relatively close to New Zealand. Is there no importation of the wonderful New Zealand sphagnum moss into Malaysia?
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!