FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Wikiwakawakawee
Haven't really seen many pictures of Sphagnum growing outside of a greenhouse, and was wondering if there is anybody out there growing it in normal windowsill conditions that's not covered by any sort of humidity dome (or just growing it outside).

I put some live sphagnum as a top layer on some of my nepenthes pots, and after a couple months, it finally seems to be acclimated, and is sending out little growth points everywhere. :D

The only thing is that these pots are a lot drier than they should be, I only water them once a week, so the media loses almost all of its moisture (it still retains some, just not a lot by the end of the week), and I've heard that when you grow sphagnum in drier conditions, it tends to get more compact, so I'm really excited for that as I can see how close together all the growth points are already. It does seem to grow a bit slower in these conditions.

Feel free to post pictures of your sphagnum here (regardless of where it's being grown...who DOESN'T love live sphagnum? ;) )

-The Waka
By Salute flytraps234
The whole media issue is common it use to happen to me when I grow my neps on a windowsill, you could grow yours out side in. Shaded area but put some wire on top to prevent animals from damaging it .

That's my advice
Happy growing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Wikiwakawakawee
"Salute flytraps234"]The whole media issue is common it use to happen to me when I grow my neps on a windowsill, you could grow yours out side in. Shaded area but put some wire on top to prevent animals from damaging it ."

Can't really do that yo, I live in the barracks, so I have nowhere to put my plants outside and very limited space inside my room.

I don't understand what you mean by issues? :|
By Fishkeeper
The "issue" is that sphagnum likes to be in really wet conditions, and your nep will not at all be happy if you keep it constantly soaked.
You can absolutely grow it in a container. Spread it out on top of a thin base layer (which can be peat or just more sphagnum), and keep the base layer soaked and the live moss damp. Absolutely doable in a windowsill-sized container.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Fishkeeper wrote:The "issue" is that sphagnum likes to be in really wet conditions, and your nep will not at all be happy if you keep it constantly soaked.
You can absolutely grow it in a container. Spread it out on top of a thin base layer (which can be peat or just more sphagnum), and keep the base layer soaked and the live moss damp. Absolutely doable in a windowsill-sized container.
As far as I'm concerned, I see no issuesImage All my plants have been growing great for months now, it was just a matter of acclimation. Sphagnum moss and nepenthes are often grown together, some people actually use live sphagnum as a sign that their nepenthes are in a good environment, in other words, if the sphagnum is growing and happy, then the neps should be happy too.Image

I'm still unsure of where you guys got the idea that I was having issues though...I was just wondering if other people could post pictures of their sphagnum growing on windowsill like environments, just to see how it looks. (I was asking because it'll take mine a while before it completely fills the pots, so I just wanted to see others attempts in an act of impatienceImage)

-The Waka
By jwalker
I've not had good luck growing spag on a Windows sill with out a humidity dome my house is much to dry. Good luck. Most of the ppl I see that use it for a top dressing have a highland set up or lowland set up.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Salute flytraps234 wrote:Okay then do yo have a green house you can grow it in a plastic container and put vent holes on the top that works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha no room yoImage I already have sphagnum growing in my vivarium, and it's already growing on my windowsill.

-The Waka

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!