FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By PetroleumJunkie412
So, I'm looking for information on and reputable sources for obtaining the big varieties of carnivorous plants...

Specifically, I'm looking to see if any other forum members have the giant varieties of sarracenias, drosera, and dionaea in their collections that they'd be willing to sell or trade. I live in Pittsburgh, and fall approaching means stink bug season. I have a N. Miranda to cover a room, and a few d. binata to help out in a few others, but I'm looking to see if anything else is out there to give me more coverage. The sarracenias are more for summer, when my porch fills with carpenter bees, and my shed starts attracting hornets. :l

Let me know what you have! I'm already in possession of King sundew seeds, so they're up and coming, but I'm interested in giant varieties of everything else, or just the big carnivores that can eat these: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_m ... _stink_bug

Thanks all!!
By nimbulan
In my experience, stinkbugs (at least adults) are far too strong to be caught by sundews. I've never found any inside pitcher plants either, though I've had groups of them hanging around my Sarracenia before. They do make good Nepenthes food if you catch them yourself though.
By PetroleumJunkie412
Yeah, I was guessing that the brown stunk bug was a little big for most plants. Didn't know if anyone out there had any luck with vfts like the king Edward possessing the ability to consume them.

Thanks to the guys over at carnivore culture, I came into possession of a giant d. Adelae, and a bonus p. Gigantea (the p. Gigantea was a free bonus plant, and as a result, I HIGHLY recommend carnivore culture. They're awesome! Plants arrived happy and healthy, with another bonus of live sphagnum moss as a packing material. :D)

But, I'm still on my quest to find more of the big guys. Thanks to Shadowtski, I have d. Capensis, possibly giant seeds on the way.

Anyone else have recommendations as to the biggest, easiest plants that consume bugs? The easy moniker is only because I work over the road, and at times have to leave my plants at the mercy of others, and don't want to have the blood of something like a N. Rajah on someone else's hands... :)
By PetroleumJunkie412
Benurmanii wrote:I guess to give good suggestions, you should let us know how you are growing your plants. Most larger carnivorous plants are very light demanding, and may be demanding in other areas (i.e., the larger Nepenthes, Heliamphora).
Ah, no problem! I have three grow areas, and two on the way. Right now, I have a set of glass window shelves posted up in two east facing windows in a room that stays between 70-85 F, an outside east facing plant stand (Pittsburgh's summer has been 70-80 F at night, and 80-93 F during the day) both east areas receive morning sun from 7 am - 11 am, and indirect sun until dark. The west facing area is my covered front porch, and receives filtered sun from 9am until 6 Pm, then full sun until dark. The two areas in construction are a South facing set of window shelves, and a South facing cold frame for wintering over plants.

Pot options are limitless. My butterwort is in a African violet pot, and is loving life. Nepenthes is in a keter self-draining and watering hanging basket and feels the same way (two new full leaves in two weeks on a baby plant). VFTs are in glass or plastic pots, sarracenias are in net cups in SK ceramic pots (their stuff is fully glazed and awesome). Adult sundews are in self watering 6 in wide x 8 in deep pots, and seeds are in a windowsill hot house in the east window. But I'm open to advice and more options!

Did I leave out anything?? Let me know!
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!