FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Lilkanyon
I have quite a few indoor plants and over the years, I have bought and failed miserably at keeping venus fly traps alive. Well, I am giving it another go! I have a decent window to put it in, and now, years later trying again, good info through the 'interweb' to get advice! I would love to see my little baby grow into the a "Little Shop of Horrors!" (Well, maybe not...but if the plant starts singing, I will totally go viral on you tube, lol!). Naw, I'm not expecting miracles. It just breaks my heart when I cant keep a plant alive. I consider it a personal failure. I look forward to learning alot here about traps and lots of other plants as well.
By Benurmanii
Hi there!

But before anyone else does, I'm gonna let you know that the majority of people who grow Venus Fly Traps grow them outdoors. They really aren't good indoor plants. If you want a carnivorous plant that does well indoors in a bright windowsill, I would look at Pinguicula or Drosera (though most Drosera appreciate more light than they can get in a windowsill). If you describe your climate, we can give you tips on how to grow your VFT outdoors.
By boarderlib
Benurmanii wrote:Hi there!

But before anyone else does, I'm gonna let you know that the majority of people who grow Venus Fly Traps grow them outdoors. They really aren't good indoor plants. If you want a carnivorous plant that does well indoors in a bright windowsill, I would look at Pinguicula or Drosera (though most Drosera appreciate more light than they can get in a windowsill). If you describe your climate, we can give you tips on how to grow your VFT outdoors.
Wouldn't a Ceph make a good windowsill plant? I've read a few growers use windowsills for their Ceph's.

Welcome to the forums! Best of luck with your little one!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Matt
Welcome to FlytrapCare!

As others have already mentioned, flytraps don't do very well in windowsills. They can survive there and even do OK if it's extremely bright and sunny, but they're unlikely to ever thrive in a window.

Also, already mentioned, Pinguicula, Nepehthes, Drosera and Cephalotus are good carnivorous plants for windowsills.
By Fishman
If your plant begins singing, please shoot me a pm of its show times. I will gladly pay you to see it!!

Welcome to the forums!
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!