FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By macleod82
Basically, I'm trying to build a CP collection on a shoestring budget. I'm most interested in what I can keeo outdoors in Sarrs, temperate Drosera and of course Dionaea. With a toddler having access to all my south facing windows my options for germinating seeds are limited to either outdoors, or building a grow shelf in my laundry closet (definitely want that but will take time).

I've got an order started for D binata 't-form' here and have some S flava and D capensis seeds coming from a more seasoned hobbyist. I have a good sunny porch and am hoping I can get started there to give me half the year to overhaul this closet to keep the seedlings growing through their first winter. Is attempting to germinate all these outdoors a viable plan or can I expect difficulties with not having a stable environment? I'm in North Carolina so am well within the native climate for at least the Sarrs and VFT.
Last edited by macleod82 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Shadowtski
Most of the Sarracenia and USA Drosera should grow fine for you, outdoors. They're suited to your climate and should go in and out of dormancy, no sweat. D. rotundifolia, D. intermedia, D filiformis are all temperate plants. Some can be found in our seed bank.

Growing them outdoors is good, but you may want to protect them from driving rain and strong wind until they're big enough to handle it.

Drosera capensis is a Sub-Tropical plant. It will grow year round, given good conditions. I grow mine outdoors from May/June until October/November then I bring them in for Winter.

But I live in the Arctic wastelands of Wisconsin. :)

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Shadowtski
macleod82 wrote:Thanks, looks like a plan is coming together. One more thing, a 50/50 mix of Sphagnum and Perlite should be a good mix for starting all of these right? (D binata 't-form', D capensis and various S flava)
I use mostly a 50/50 mix of peatmoss and perlite.
But that is strictly my personal preference.
I only use sphagnum for D adelae and my few Nepenthes.

Using sphagnum with tiny Drosera seeds could lead to many seeds falling in too deep to germinate.

But that's just my two cents worth.
Some growers swear by long fiber sphagnum.

Good growing,
Mike
By macleod82
Hmm, I'd have to check a few greenhouses, I don't think I ever saw any peat at the big box hardware stores, I haven't noticed at garden centers either but I haven't checked them as thoroughly since I found the Sphagnum. I'm currently using the small bag of 'orchid moss' from Lowe's which is labeled Sphagnum.
By FlyTrap Hunter
macleod82 wrote:Hmm, I'd have to check a few greenhouses, I don't think I ever saw any peat at the big box hardware stores, I haven't noticed at garden centers either but I haven't checked them as thoroughly since I found the Sphagnum. I'm currently using the small bag of 'orchid moss' from Lowe's which is labeled Sphagnum.
The peat is outside at Lowes with the mulch and sand and bags of soil on huge shelves. Its a huge square bag. likely you will never need that much but its good in a regular vegetable garden as well.
But if you found the orchid moss, that is all you need for Fly Traps.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!