FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By zachharvin
whats up guys, this is my first time posting here. I've been growing CPs for almost two years now, and i have to say that even though I like the way my sudews look, I've always been intrigued with the flytrap. Thought that i would try my luck a growing them from seed earlier this year, and got about a 75% of what i sowed to grow, not bad for my first time i think. I only have a few variations such as red dragon, b-52, pink venus, and a few of the more common. what I'm really looking for though is something a little different, maybe something like red piranha, red line, maybe a wackytrap. if anyone out there has some seeds from a different kind, please drop me a line. willing to pay or trade, but I'll take donations if you twist my arm. my cape sundews are almost ready to harvest they are red and alba. I check this site as often as i can but it would be better to send me an email at zachharvin@gmail.com. any response would be appreciated. thanks again
By gino
Hey zachharvin,

Welcome to the forum!

I've clarified this matter recently with some of the more experienced people in the forum since I also intended to purchase some seeds. I asked if I could get the exact same cultivar from seeds that were gathered from a self-pollinated flower. The answer that I got was that the seedlings do not necessarily grow to be the same as their host plants.

If you want say a pink venus, you can produce another plant that will have the same characteristics through tissue culture, leaf pulling, flower stalk cutting and splitting an adult plant through the rhizome.
By Steve_D
gino wrote:The answer that I got was that the seedlings do not necessarily grow to be the same as their host plants.
Not merely "not necessarily" but definitely not the same as their parent(s), in the same way that children are never genetically identical to their parents. Even if both parents are the same plant, there is virtually no chance that a seedling could be genetically identical to its parent, although it may (or may not) look similar in some ways. :)
By zachharvin
ah ok. thanks for the info guys. i'd still like to get a hold of some fresh vft seeds though, so if you have any extra please let me know. Thanks again for the info
Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!