FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By zhengcl86
Hello, in need of some help with my VFT that i had purchased from Amazon this spring, around April if i could remember. The plant came with its roots wrapped in spag moss and a handful of spag moss as a starter kit. During the process of me potting it, I decided to split the plant into 2 different pots. I have only used Distilled Water that i've purchased from the store.

I live in Queens, New York.
1 of the plant i have it sitting on the East Window.
the other i have it sitting on the West Window.

recently i've noticed the plants browning\black a lot more and even the new growth is browning, even the stems a little bit.
I figured they weren't getting enough light. so i got a LED blue\red spectrum light and i had moved both the plants to a table near the East window. The led light is set for 8 hours daily for 2 weeks now.

I have also noticed the spag moss is turning green, is that a sign for me to repot in new fresh spag moss?
I have fed it twice in the beginning when i first got it. Half dead flies that i've swatted and some kind of small beetle. and Recently i tried to feed it again after 2-3 months of not feeding it, The traps are not closing. (What could be the problem?)

What am i doing wrong?
Attachments:
IMG_20190730_073740.jpg
IMG_20190730_073740.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 3714 times
IMG_20190730_073733.jpg
IMG_20190730_073733.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 3714 times
IMG_20190730_073729.jpg
IMG_20190730_073729.jpg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 3714 times
IMG_20190730_073719.jpg
IMG_20190730_073719.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 3714 times
By Artchic528
They look light deprived. Is there any way you can get them outside in direct sunlight?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By zhengcl86
i can get them to the back patio which is the West intense afternoon sun. Wouldn't that shock the plant? Would the LED grow light not work? I have asked the Amazon seller about the condition to save it, He recommended getting a LED grow light to make up for the lack of sunlight.
By zhengcl86
Fieldofscreams wrote:d ole Joel.
yep thats the guy. So the LED light wasn't necessary? The light cost me $28, got them just for the purpose of Joel recommended...but i have put my lemon seedling under the grow up and they seem to be doing very nicely.
By ChefDean
You'll want to try to get them outside. I fought this idea for a while too, but eventually caved and put them out. Try to acclimate them to outside living by putting them out for a few hours, then bring them in until the next day. The next day, increase the time by 30 minutes or so. Keep doing that until they stay out all the time.
You'll likely lose some traps and leaves as they adjust, but stay the course and the plant will bounce back and be stronger and healthier in the long run.
By zhengcl86
ChefDean wrote:You'll want to try to get them outside. I fought this idea for a while too, but eventually caved and put them out. Try to acclimate them to outside living by putting them out for a few hours, then bring them in until the next day. The next day, increase the time by 30 minutes or so. Keep doing that until they stay out all the time.
You'll likely lose some traps and leaves as they adjust, but stay the course and the plant will bounce back and be stronger and healthier in the long run.
i had moved them outside all day yesterday. My back patio is the West sun so it gets pretty intense and hot back there. I moved it back inside overnight but i put it back outside this morning.

I am also not home during work days to move the plants inside and outside every hour or so. Hopefully they will be thriving better.

Should i repot both of them into 1 large pot?
By Fieldofscreams
You need to stop moving them.

They can't adjust if you keep changing their environment.
By optique
after being light starved, light will burn them if not slowly acclimated. If you have already burned it up don't panic the damage is already done, leave it in sun to wait for new growth.
the link is photos of one i burned to a crisp and its recovery, but if you can save the old growth it will recover faster.
the-green-phoenix-from-lowe-s-t44609.html
By zhengcl86
so i should just leave it outside, even overnight and let it be. What if it rains? leave it outside? or bring it in?
By Fieldofscreams
Why do so many people think rain will hurt their plants? What is with that?

VFTs in their natural habitat get rained on, get hit with hurricanes, forest fires, snow, frost, wind and sub zero temps. Your plants will be fine in the rain.
By optique
Calm down people think they are tropical. And from far far away. They grow in there native habitat along the boarder of the Carolina's coastal side in full sun and heavy rains.

only down side to NY is prolonged 20's will cause frost burn so plan now how to stop that and you will be all good after you get them acclimated to being outside in full sun.
By optique
my advice is to place then plant out side in the shade, try to match the amount of light they have been getting inside. every 4 days move the plants closer to the sun where it gets 2 hours less shade.
After you have it in full sun start planning how to keep it from being frost burnt by prolonged low temps in the 20's or lower. you need to keep it below 50f for most of the day so a unheated building is usually a good idea for someone as north as you. just do some research find something that will work for you. not everyone has access to the same methods of protection. but keep in mind the plant can freeze solid its prolonged extreme cold and air flow that cause tissue damage.
By zhengcl86
optique wrote:my advice is to place then plant out side in the shade, try to match the amount of light they have been getting inside. every 4 days move the plants closer to the sun where it gets 2 hours less shade.
a little late on that, they have been in full sun since yesterday. my back patio gets full sun at around 11 am. There is no shade what so ever because i dont have a awning or outdoor umbrella.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!