FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Mephiles
Ah interesting. I don't suppose you would know about any table I could refer to in order to estimate potential charges, would you? At this stage I still feel like I'd be flying blind if I decided to order anything applicable internationally. What resolution were you able to get after those culture destructions? Were you able to get any fraction of what you spent back from anyone? Dep. of Ag.? Quarantine? Matt? It just sounds a little extreme to be punished after you've properly submitted all the required paperwork.

I had a think about those quarantine charges. If they charge you by the half hour for inspection, and again for destruction of your cultures, would it not be reasonable to surmise that it's within their best interest to ensure that inspection takes as long as possible, and results in as much item destruction as possible? If I were you I'd take a close look at any documentation you received from them concerning your first order, because there might be a law suit here that finds in your favour.

This question would probably be more suited to flytrapcare's sales email, but since it's relevant; what exactly does the $7.95 Postal Insurance cover? Is it limited to this store's side of the fees? Just the order and Phyto.? Or does it extend to part or all of the import permit charges that the receiving country unleashes?
By Matt
Mephiles wrote:what exactly does the $7.95 Postal Insurance cover?
If the package is lost in shipment, we'll refund the purchase price minus shipping and phyto charges. We aren't held responsible for packages destroyed by customs as that has nothing to do with the Postal system.

However, I normally work with people to ensure they get all of the plants they ordered. Often they'll place another order and I'll include all of the plants that either got destroyed by customs or died after they potted them out. Bryn can vouch for this, as could quite a few other customers.
By Mephiles
Thanks Matt, that sounds like a decent deal. What I've been finding out from Bryn though is that something seems awfully amiss with our Quarantine practices namely by how, even after having access to the correct documentation provided by Bryn, even though these plants are on the allowable list, they will still destroy orders on a whim without any apparent explanation as to why.

Make no mistake, I'm all for the preservation of our 'unique' ecosystem, but a Quarantine department implemented with the best of intentions isn't worth spit if it can't be trusted to act responsibly and provide a proper explanation for destroyed orders of species that are allowable by our importation laws.

As for myself I think I may wait a few years before trying to get any plants from a source that isn't our island, give our DoAFF some time to purge some of its filth, and hopefully a change in governance that sees our dollar increase to something usable. In between now and then I'll see if I can get by with the odd Ebay seller and buying from/begging other forum members positioned locally for some of their "contraband" Vft/Sarr/Nepenthes cultivars/species. That, or I could just cut my losses and move to America.
By Bryndiana
Yes Matt is very good i would recommend the flytrapstore as they have replaced destroyed cultures.
As for taking up law suits etc. No. The customs is pretty tight in their management and if they think their is contamination they will error on the side of caution and destroy the cultures. There is no tables on pricing that i can refer you to as it is a case by case basis but it takes the time it takes you just have to trust the system here. They did call me and send me photographs of the cultures requiring destruction. All in all it is the risk of importing the plants whether they make it through customs or not and you will be up for the costs.
By Mephiles
Very well, at least they took the time to contact you. Thankyou both for the first hand experience you could share.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!