FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By owkenny
I dont like ordering stuff online so Im looking around my area to find VFTs. The main problem is that just about every greenhouse within a 30 mile radius of where i live is owned by the Amish. All the greenhouses run by them all have fruits, herbs and flowers and Most of them have never heard of VFTs and the big retail stores like walmart and stuff dont have them. I live in a tiny town in wisconsin by the way. Anyone got any ideas where to find them?
By italo.americano
Hi owkenny,

I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time finding carnivorous plants in your area.

I would recommend being patient as usually Wal-Mart has Dionaea in the summer months of June, July and August. I purchased one there in June of last year and I'm pretty sure they should be getting more.

Also, you could try looking online or the yellow pages for any plant nurseries near your area. I'm sure there must be one that is not Amish owned and you might try giving them a call to see if they offer any carnivorous plants.

Also, you had mentioned that you don't like to shop online but Steve D., one of our moderators, sells great plants at a very reasonable price at http://www.flytrapranch.com.

I hope this helps and please ask should you have any more questions,

Giovanni
By Nick
I have to agree with Giovanni about www.flytrapranch.com. Steve_D has a great selection of VFTs at very competitive prices compared to other USA vendors. He also is great about keeping you informed about your shipment, along with packaging all the items well with very thorough instructions about planting your newly bought VFT. Also, he might still be running the "Bargain in a Box" deal for flytrapcare.com members (found here: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=20&t=680) in which he sends you a random cultivar of the VFT. I suggest it over buying from Wal-mart or local stores because you know Steve_D treats his plants right and most local places only carry typical VFTs.
By Adam
I would say to do a google maps search on nurseries when you have your town on the map. It will pop up all of them and you can increase or decrease the area and pan around. Then get on the phone.

A better thing to do would be to just get them from Steve at flytrapranch.com. I'm 99% sure you'll get a better plant than from a walmart. (There is a 1% margin of error in my predictions ;) )

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!