FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By dmagnan
I know there's a lot of misinformation about identity and proper care, even on the instructions supplied with the plants sometimes, so I was hoping that I could get an identification and any good tips on these orchids? Do all phalaenopsis have the same requirements?

In the meantime I'm going to do a little bit of reading and try to figure it out for myself.

If it helps, these are from Whole Foods and sold as "mini orchids."

Thanks!

Dave
Attachments:
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (405.85 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (379.89 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
By evenwind
They're definitely Phal hybrids. While all Phals don't have identical requirements, these need the typical care that you've been reading about. Very basically: household temps/humidity; east or west exposure - they don't like a lot of light - and don't let them completely dry out. You'll find a lot of conflicting info on watering. Unlike a lot of orchids, they don't have pseudobulbs (thickened stems) to act as water storage. They do have semi-succulent leaves that will retain some water, but not a lot. I try to water when the medium is just going dry, which is just as "easy" to do as keeping VFT medium "damp but not wet". It's a little tricky at first to get a good watering schedule but, unless you go to extremes, Phals are pretty forgiving. If you do it right, the little hybrids you've got should bloom a couple of times a year.
evenwind liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!