FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By carelerasmus
Hi all! So dormancy is here! Thus I have been forced to stop staring at my figuratively dying plants, and start getting creative! I've always wanted to create a little bog environment for my plants! I have three species of sarracenias ( one of which is a purpurea ) , a bunch of venus flytraps , a LOT of drosera capensis! There are also some utricularia subulatas in there somewhere... I want to include all these plants as I know they have similar requirements! I would just like to hear some creative ideas from you guys as to what pot to use, in what formation to plant them, creative watering techniques and well most importantly... How do I keep it looking good in full sun? Here in South Africa the sun gets PRETTY damn hot during summer! It always scorches the peat moss and does not allow any living moss or utrics to grow? How could I keep my little bog garden nice and lush and green whilst also giving my cp's enough direct sunlight? Some shade cloth perhaps? Please give your input or photos for reference thanks in advance

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
Here's a couple of tips to help you get started:
1. Get a larger container for all those plants than you think you will need. You'll be glad you did.
2. Remember that a bigger container takes longer to dry out and heats up more slowly.
3. Don't get a dark colored container, they heat up and dry out more quickly.
4. Local sphag will live way better in your bog than any other kind. See if you can find a local source.
5. Set things up a couple of months in advance so you can iron out any problems that might crop up. Also, this gives your moss a good chance to get started.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Good luck!
By carelerasmus
Huntsmanshorn wrote:Here's a couple of tips to help you get started:
1. Get a larger container for all those plants than you think you will need. You'll be glad you did.
2. Remember that a bigger container takes longer to dry out and heats up more slowly.
3. Don't get a dark colored container, they heat up and dry out more quickly.
4. Local sphag will live way better in your bog than any other kind. See if you can find a local source.
5. Set things up a couple of months in advance so you can iron out any problems that might crop up. Also, this gives your moss a good chance to get started.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Good luck!
Okei thank you!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!