FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By roey benjamin marcus
I just ordered a Cephalotus for SNW. I really don't think Beverly Hills is good for it, though. Here are my materials-
Materials:
...distilled water.
That's it. I don't have any greenhouse. I don't have a terrarium. I DO have a fluorescent lightbulb, but who am I kidding? I don't know anything about it except that it's cool white and kept my Drosera Capensis healthy (it's not CRAZY awesome, but it's a D. Capensis Matt would consider if he would want to buy). Recently, I put my Drosera Intermedia and Roseana(pygmy) and they started dripping with dew. But here, we get temps higher than 100(F) and when we don't, the day is most likely cloudy. We have no windows where I can place the Cephalotus. I really don't want to kill my to-be Ceph, but I also want to keep it. What do I do?
By tc3driver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalotus wrote:Cephalotus are cultivated world wide. In the wild, they prefer warm day-time temperatures of up to 25 degrees Celsius during the growing season, coupled with cool night-time temperatures. In cultivation the dormant period is unnecessary and the plants may be grown as any subtropical plant, although dormancy can result in somewhat larger pitchers. It is commonly grown in a mixture of sphagnum peat moss, perlite, and sand, a reasonable humidity (60-80%) is also preferred. It is successfully propagated from root and leaf cuttings.
The plants become colourful and grow vigorously when kept in direct sunlight, while plants cultivated in bright shade remain green.
Living plants were delivered to Kew Gardens by Phillip Parker King in 1823. A specimen flowered in 1827 and provided one source for an illustration in Curtis's Botanical Magazine.[1]
Google my friend... it rocks!
By roey benjamin marcus
I know, I looked at SO many guides. What I want to know is where to put the Ceph. It'll drop dead in the full sunlight here. I don't know any shady spots where my cats won't rip up the Ceph. They've already destroyed a bunch of animals and some plants.

RIP
Gecky (Gecko)
Liz (Gecko)
Snakey (Gecko)
Unlucky (Gecko)
Slithy (Gecko)
Hiss (Gecko)
Squirmy (Gecko)

RIP
Ventry (Ventricosa)
Addy (Adelae)
By Ronnie
I'm sure it will be fine outside in indirect light with a few hours direct a day.
These are from australia and get alot of full sun. So, dont be shy with the sun.
Indirect light will give you bigger pitchers but they will be green...
And direct light smaller but red pitchers..

They are prone to root rot so dont over water them or have them sitting in a tray of water for any lenth of time. Just keep them moist.

Ronnie.
Ronnie liked this
By twigs
I am experimenting with a Cephalotus in full sun (6 hours) here in Missouri. Temps have been mid to high 90's for most of the month and we will see 100's in July/August. It's too early in my experiment to tell how the temperature will affect the plant. You might want to send Steve_D a PM. I know he used to/still does grow Cephalotus in Arizona, but I'm not sure what his conditions were.

My Ceph collection grows under 4 4' T12 florescent bulbs. These are standard 'shop lights' sold at Home Depot/Lowes for $2 each. One 2 bulb fixture will run you $20 so its not a very pricey setup. (I use 2 fixtures per shelf but I am an addict and have quite a few plants.)
By Matt
I grow my Cephalotus outside here in southern Oregon. They don't seem to like the heat much, so I put them in shade when it gets too hot. But otherwise, they seem to thrive in the greenhouse or out on my patio. And in full sun, they get a lovely purple coloration to them.
By linton
Many Australian growers will keep their plants outside year round - from frost to 40C degree heat, acclimatise your Ceph to full sun gradually and make sure that the soil never dries out. Some shade in the hottest part of the day will be beneficial, try to keep the hot sun off the side of the pot so as not to overheat the compost & roots. An excess of sunlight should not be a concern, but an excess buildup of heat.
By snapperhead51
here is some cephalotus you may want to look at :) :roll:
Attachments:
P1080644.JPG
P1080644.JPG (75.72 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
P1080643.JPG
P1080643.JPG (83.28 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
P1080642.JPG
P1080642.JPG (81.73 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
P1080636.JPG
P1080636.JPG (69.16 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
Last edited by snapperhead51 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!