FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By omnipercp15
That's great and you have the picture proof that the plants can handle cold weather and even some bit of snow and ice.
By boarderlib
omnipercp15 wrote:That's great and you have the picture proof that the plants can handle cold weather and even some bit of snow and ice.
We actually had a very mild winter this year, as in almost unbelievable for this area. I think we set at least three or four records highs this year.

There's another thread that was just posted about Purpurea in Canada. I just seen it the other day.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
By GreenOhio
Finally made it out to the bog this evening. These were the only plants visible from the boardwalk…
Attachments:
100_0318.JPG
100_0318.JPG (32.85 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
100_0317.JPG
100_0317.JPG (27.32 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
GreenOhio liked this
By boarderlib
GreenOhio wrote:Finally made it out to the bog this evening. These were the only plants visible from the boardwalk…
You sure did pick a crappy day to get out there, at least weather wise. That's pretty depressing that that's all that can really be seen. I'm not sure if I really even want to bother heading down there now, but I'm sure I will at some point though. It'll be a nice change of scenery.

I may swing out to this one next weekend if the weather is nice. You should head out to this one. It's kind of a haul but you get to see more than two plants, and there's supposed to be Rotundifolia as well.

By GreenOhio
I was driving past and couldn't resist stopping by for a bit, despite the clouds and cold :D It's depressing at the least to see how the place has changed over years. It's still hard for me to imagine that at one time, the place was completely loaded with S. purps.

I've noticed that much of the bog landscape has slowly been transitioning to that of woodland/grassland. I'm sure that this change of habitat has been a large factor in the die off. Really makes me wonder if it will even be there years from now :(

If you're in the area it's worth a stop, but don't anticipate to see anything impressive. 10 years ago, now that'd be a different story...

I'll be sure to head out there in the near future. Looks like the plants there are doing a lot better.
By GreenOhio
So I finally made my way up there... Was there a few hours before the storm hit and took over 200 pictures! :D It was a breath of fresh air to see them in such good health compared to the population near me...
Attachments:
IMG_6716.jpg
IMG_6716.jpg (73.22 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
IMG_6701.jpg
IMG_6701.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
IMG_6644.jpg
IMG_6644.jpg (68.7 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
IMG_6617.jpg
IMG_6617.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
IMG_6543.jpg
IMG_6543.jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
100_0352.JPG
100_0352.JPG (32.91 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
100_0350.JPG
100_0350.JPG (323.49 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
100_0343.JPG
100_0343.JPG (38.1 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
IMG_6556.jpg
IMG_6556.jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
100_0335.JPG
100_0335.JPG (40.24 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
GreenOhio liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
That's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing. Theirs something special in seeing plants in their natural habitat
By davidbondy17
Wow that's really amazing. I haven't seen many sarracenia living in the wild near where I live. Thanks for taking pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
You got a lot of good pictures! And you beat the storm, even though to look out there now there's nothing left of it. They look a lot better now that we've got some nice weather too. That one plant has some very nice veining in it as well. I can't wait to see this again once spring really gets here and quits teasing us.

There's supposed to be Rotundifolia there too. That's why I was kind of holding back on returning for a little bit. I really want to see them alongside the Purpurea.

I take it you enjoyed this bog more than the other one? Although it's not much exercise, it does have some nice views.

By GreenOhio
What I found most interesting was the presence of so many different phenotypes amongst that population of S. purpurea. There is so much variation that can be seen, it’s pretty hard to decide which ones you really want to spend time looking at and taking pictures of! The one with my hand next to it, the "giant form", really had me excited and was the only tube to have that deep maroon color, as well as having a very unique lid.

I'm sure once spring shows up that the sundews will start to send up traps and flower stalks, hopefully making them easier to spot...

I would definitely say that I enjoyed this bog more than the other one, at least in its current state... It's still hard to replace the memories of seeing huge clumps for the first time when I had heard cp's grew in my state, and very close to me at that!

Those are cranberries growing amongst the patch at the top. Notice the non-carnivorous leaf on the bottom one. I promise the photos do them no justice, you just have to be there...
Attachments:
IMG_6562.jpg
IMG_6562.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
IMG_6608.jpg
IMG_6608.jpg (78.33 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
By boarderlib
I was wondering which type was there, but kept coming up with multiple types, so I just kind of gave up that search. That and almost everybody has a different view on the variety of Purpurea. It sounds like all I need is to meet you up there one day, and take a class from you.

The top picture looks like they've grown a couple inches since I was there last. All I could really see was the lids above the grass, and now you can see exactly how many are in that spot, and not just a reddish haze in the grass. It looks a lot healthier now.

By GreenOhio
They are all S. purpurea purpurea, the different types are just different individuals within the population (like flytrap clones). "Giant form" is just a label I gave to that particular plant because of its size. You rarely find pure homogony in any population, but the plants there definitely have a special look to them compared to the ones closer to me.

My theory is that long ago, when the mile high glacier that covered the northern part of the state receded, the acidic and low-nutrient land was left exposed and filled in by specialized species like pitchers and sundews. As the forest and grassland plants from the south began to spread north, the qualities of the soil changed and much of the bog land was choked out leaving small islands of bogs. These small islands have been isolated just long enough for evolution to show special variations between the different populations of Sarracenia, even though all of the plants from both bogs probably came from the same original population.

Both bogs are home to highly specialized plants like Drosera and Sarracenia that grow beside less specialized plants like cranberries, shrubs, and trees that would have never been able to survive in the bog habitat when it was in its prime. The bogs have just enough nutrients to keep one type of plant alive, but not enough to kill another. It's observable that the habitats are in mid-transition. It would be my guess that in the future the bogs will not exist, regardless of human destruction. That's why it's important to document them while they are still here.

The next time you're heading there PM me, and I'll see if I can make it out!

By the way, thanks for starting this thread! It's been great getting to share our states wild cp's!
By boarderlib
So that's why you used the quote marks instead of apostrophe's? I'm trying to get all of this down, but be forewarned I am a numbers guy. I've never really been good with science/biology or even grammar for that matter. I try though. In essence I'm basically starting from scratch here. I've always been involved in gardening and some growing of flowers, but I never really was all that interested in the nitty gritty details until I started getting into CP's. Now I want to learn all I can about them, and eventually start doing TC, however that one is a ways off as I still have a lot to learn before that step.

I will definitely PM you the next time I head out there. I think spending some with a seasoned veteran out there would be an incredible learning experience! It'll probably be a few weeks, I would like to wait until this weather breaks for good.

I should be thanking you for being so involved in this thread and sharing so much of your knowledge and experience with us. It's greatly appreciated!

By GreenOhio
Quote marks are used for nonregistered cultivars, while apostrophes are used for cultivars that have been registered and recognized by the International Carnivorous Plant Society.

It’s always been the other way around for me. I’m horrible at math, but I’m a biology major. The natural sciences are a lot of fun because they are very much a hands-on experience, and you learn so much as you go along. A year from now (or less), you’ll be surprised how much you’ve picked up along the way!

I by no means consider myself a cp expert, but have been growing them on and off for years. I’ve been met with failure (more than success by far), but have learned from each of my mistakes and have learned many of the do’s and don’ts the hard way.

Hopefully the weather will make up its mind in the near future. I heard it might snow again this weekend! :x Ugh!
By boarderlib
I apologize for not having an update on here to note the spring season, but with the arrival of spring in Ohio comes the," honey do list." The rest of the flower beds needed built, the garden needed to be put in. This needs done, that needs done[DISAPPOINTED BUT RELIEVED FACE]. I'm sure most of you understand. I will be heading out here within the next month to get some more pics to update this thread.

@greenohio. In my opinion experience is the best teacher, as long as we can learn from our mistakes. I sometimes have a little rougher time learning and need to be smacked in the head with a 2x4 before I learn, or met with an unfortunate loss.

It's Ohio, we both know just because the calender says it's spring, that doesn't mean squat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!