I think I'm in love

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers
xr280xr
Super User

I think I'm in love

by xr280xr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 am

I found these black pots at Lowes and Home Depot this season. I didn't buy any at first because they're black and I was hoping to find some of the big white ones that I already have on the right. But since this was the best they had, I bought a few and now I'm really liking them. They're a nice diameter so that they can fit into smaller spaces while holding a few smaller plants, but they're also deep! As opposed to that little gray one you can see in the pic that were my previous option for pots of that diameter (about 2-3" shorter). They're decent quality plastic, not super thin like those temporary pots new plants come in. They've also got nice, big drainage holes on the sides at the bottom. I'll have to paint them if I want to put them outside but I'm probably going to stock up on a bunch more of them cause they're only $0.98 each! :geek: :geek: :roll:

IMG_3915[2].jpg
IMG_3915[2].jpg (154.9 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
My GrowList

Wanted:
S. leuco "H.C. White"
D. muscipula: "Microdent", "Dentate"
C. follicularis: Hummer's Giant

Matt
Site Admin

Re: I think I'm in love

by Matt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:17 pm

That does look like a very nice pot for Dionaea. I think painting it white is a good idea, or you could just put the pot inside something or in a location where the sun would never directly hit the sides. But the depth and size of the pot looks great! And you can't beat the price.
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

xr280xr
Super User

by xr280xr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Matt wrote: I think painting it white is a good idea, or you could just put the pot inside something or in a location where the sun would never directly hit the sides.

That would be a good idea because it doesn't offer much as far as insulation, even in a lighter color. I've also been playing with the idea of making a mold .25-.5" larger than the pot out of roofing flashing or something like that and then using that spray on foam insulation to fill the gap & give some pots a foam shell. Like a fly trap Koozie :p
My GrowList

Wanted:
S. leuco "H.C. White"
D. muscipula: "Microdent", "Dentate"
C. follicularis: Hummer's Giant

pieguy452
Super User

by pieguy452 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Nice find :)
A confessed carnivorous plantaholic

coline

by coline » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Great pots, we have somethin similar here, in a store that is very similar in style to the clasic 99cent store. they're 1,9$ here and come in brown and green, I have many of them, but they take too much space and the plants get the very same size as in a smaller pot, weird.
They're made of cheap recycled plastic as I have noticed.

The following users would like to thank coline for this post
xr280xr

Return to Water Quality, Growing Media and Planting Containers