FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By gO nk
Hello! I recently bought a flytrap and decided to feed it a horsefly I caught. After realizing that the bug was too big for it, I removed it from the trap and cut it into smaller pieces. The trap is still closed shut after the bug was in it and I'm worried that the leaf might die from it being closed without any bug in it. Should I be worried? I haven't bought a venus fly trap before so I'm unsure of how to properly care for it.
By sanguinearocks101
It will be okay. The traps can only close around 5 times so try not to do that a lot. The trap will hopefully open in a day or two. If you feed it something dead then you’ll need to squeeze the sides of the traps for a while after it closes in order for the plant to digest the bug. Look up how to do it properly because it’s been a while since I’ve done it.
By Apollyon
I lightly press the sides of the leaves approx. 25-30 times in succession and that does the trick. If the leaves are small I'll use like a small set of forceps. It's a chore but they do get a boost from it.
Benny liked this
By Benny
Before feeding it anything, get it established and growing well. Once it is growing at a steady pace and watching its own food, then you can feed it just for kicks. It while it is interesting and entertaining to feed it, it is unnecessary and potentially harmful.

All that aside, I would squeeze the sides of the trap 15 times, wait another 15-45 minuites, come back and do it again. Apollyon's method is effective as well, but this is my preferred way. Like Apollyon said, forceps make it a lot easier.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!