FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
Posts:  605
Joined:  Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 pm
#93432
Yay ... I just placed my order. Three B52's and 6 Red Piranha's. Got my wish and added something a little different to my collection of red plants ! ( Royal Reds and Red Dragons ). I'm psyched !
By dantt99
Posts:  5045
Joined:  Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:48 am
#93433
DTDream18 wrote:6 Red Piranha's
It's a wonder they're still in stock :lol:
Sounds like a good order :) Can't wait to see some pics when you get them :D
User avatar
By Wahter
Posts:  198
Joined:  Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:05 am
#93434
Don't worry about it. It was our mistake, so we'll eat the shipping. You and one other lucky customer got free shipping between the time I put everything in stock and 10 minutes later shut down the store
I put my order in already too - when I checked out, I also saw the free shipping, so I must be that "one other lucky customer" :)

I ordered:

1 x Red Piranha
1 x Pink Venus
1 x FTS Crimson Sawtooth
1 x Royal Red

Looking forward to getting these VFTs! :)

Thanks Matt - I'll check them out and probably put in another order from you.


Walter
By dantt99
Posts:  5045
Joined:  Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:48 am
#93559
GardenNub wrote:awe man b52 not in stock anymore :\
Yeah, I looked this morning, they went FAST! :|
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22424
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#93575
GardenNub wrote:awe man b52 not in stock anymore :\
There will be more soon. I only put a dozen in stock yesterday. I have a few dozen more ready or nearly ready for sale :)

I'm just really hoping that people understand that the plants that are being shipped right now are still basically dormant. They're just coming out of dormancy and starting to put out their first growth of the season. For that reason, they look much smaller than they will in a month or so.

Here's a good example. This is what my mother pot of Red Piranha looked like last year:
Image
And here's what it looks like today:
Image

I'm slightly worried that I put things in stock too soon and that some people won't be happy with the apparent size of the plants...even though they'll be much larger once they fully break dormancy in a month or so. I think I might wait longer to put stuff in stock next season.
By dantt99
Posts:  5045
Joined:  Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:48 am
#93583
Matt wrote:they look much smaller than they will in a month or so.
Matt wrote:I'm slightly worried that I put things in stock too soon and that some people won't be happy with the apparent size of the plants...even though they'll be much larger once they fully break dormancy in a month or so. I think I might wait longer to put stuff in stock next season.
The only reason that I disagree with you is that shipping semi-dormant plants will cause less disturbance to their growing, because if you send them while they are in full growth, they will stop growing for a bit. I think that shipping plants as they emerge from dormancy is a good idea, because they will have time to settle in their new homes, then they'll be ready for growing! :D
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22424
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#93590
dantt99 wrote:The only reason that I disagree with you is that shipping semi-dormant plants will cause less disturbance to their growing, because if you send them while they are in full growth, they will stop growing for a bit. I think that shipping plants as they emerge from dormancy is a good idea, because they will have time to settle in their new homes, then they'll be ready for growing! :D
Right, I agree with everything you wrote Daniel. It's just that an actively growing plant is much more impressive to see in the box when opening an order from the FlytrapStore. And many people don't really understand the drastic difference in appearance and trap size between dormant plants and actively growing plants. That's why I'm afraid that some people could or might be disappointed when receiving a dormant plant.
By jht-union
Location: 
Posts:  3205
Joined:  Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 pm
#93592
I agree 100% with daniel, but i also understand that some people, which don't understand about this plants that much, or haven't bought their first VFT in dormarcy, they might get dissapointed, and i understand that matt is worried about showing this dormant VFT's, that don't look that good, which puts the real face of the FTS hidden.

But in my opinion, VFT's are better to buy when they're starting to wake up and not when they are fully awaken.
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22424
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#93595
jht-union wrote:I agree 100% with daniel, but i also understand that some people, which don't understand about this plants that much, or haven't bought their first VFT in dormarcy, they might get dissapointed, and i understand that matt is worried about showing this dormant VFT's, that don't look that good, which puts the real face of the FTS hidden.

But in my opinion, VFT's are better to buy when they're starting to wake up and not when they are fully awaken.
Right. Well, I'm not concerned with you two being disappointed by the size of the plants. I know you understand what they look like during dormancy. Hah! Maybe I should have a separate store to purchase dormant plants from and it should have an "entry page" with the statement:
Code: Select all
By clicking "I Agree" you are agreeing to purchase dormant plants and acknowledge that they will appear much smaller in size than one would expect.

****************
*I AGREE BUTTON*
****************
And you have to click the "I Agree" button to access the site ;)
By dantt99
Posts:  5045
Joined:  Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:48 am
#93597
Matt wrote: Hah! Maybe I should have a separate store to purchase dormant plants from and it should have an "entry page" with the statement:
I'd think that if you're concerned about it, put a notice at the top of every page that says:
"Please note that plants shipped dormant or semi-dormant will appear much smaller than they will be in the growing season. Thanks!"
Or something along those lines.
The only thing I'd like you to try and avoid is not stocking them until later. That would be tragic :lol:
Whatever you say boss! :lol: jk
Talk to you guys later!
By DTDream18
Posts:  605
Joined:  Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 pm
#93609
Wow Matt ... Those Red Piranha's look awesome. I ordered six of them yesterday. Now I'm really psyched.
If that's what mine could potentially develop into it would be awesome ! Of course I understand that the ones that i ordered are young plants still emerging from dormancy. But now that I see the potential I'm going to give give mine plenty of extra attention and TLC ! I might make them the centerpiece of my Flytrap collection !

Of course I love the looks of mature plants. But I enjoy very much getting younger plants and raising them up into
their full glory.
By dmagnan
Location: 
Posts:  603
Joined:  Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:37 pm
#93610
DTDream18 wrote:Of course I love the looks of mature plants. But I enjoy very much getting younger plants and raising them up into
their full glory.

I agree wholeheartedly. For me this hobby is just as much about being to raise and take care of these little guys as it is to have them.
By jht-union
Location: 
Posts:  3205
Joined:  Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 pm
#93611
That is a good idea matt, i like it.

Sounds like tomorrow or monday i will take a trip to raleigh to buy more silica sand, and then to lowes to buy 4 pots, once i have that, i will place the order, but first i need a B52 to be in stock somewhere around monday, tuesday or wednesday, then i can place the order, i have selected so far 13-14 clones on my list, just need the B52, then, once the others appear in stock like wacky, that weird one trikaleria(sorry for not spelling the name correctly), and the new FTS maroon monster and all those, then, that would be my second order! :)
(edit): it would be great if i can maybe arrange something with matt, if he have already all the plants that i want, just not yet available at the FTS. :)

(This are just things i say, but are not yet a fact, i'm just thinking ahead of what i think i will order and all that, but i might change my mind, thought, when i get something in my head i can't take it off, and when i say something in public that means i probably will, therefore is a fact, but not yet a fact! ;) hehe)
By DTDream18
Posts:  605
Joined:  Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 pm
#93626
Matt ... Any chance you will be adding any more unpotted Red Piranha's for sale ? I ordered 6 of them yesterday and would love to order a few more. But I see that all there is left are potted ones. I hate to waste a good pot that I would just discard immediatly. ( I also would hate paying for the extra potting charge and postage ... LOL )
FTS Purple Ambush

My Purple Ambush plants were unhappy about the col[…]

Those plants look great, although the Red Dragon l[…]

These plants look amazing! Thanks for sharing the[…]

Wow, could it be starting to make upper pitchers?

5500k LED (2 per shelf) water is RO, TDS under 10 […]

What makes the fishy face?

I don’t know the answer but some of mine do […]

Please and thank you!

Need help!

One looks pretty bad so hopefully it will recove[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!