FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Multiverse172
Heya, I see that you do need some help and i am glad to help you. Abcource we all love our plants and we don't want them to die so here are some tips.

1.) Make sure your plant has a peat moss as it's soil. I recommend you search up the type of peat needed since i am not a complete expert.

2.) Rain water is okay, but I recommend distilled water as it has less chances of mineral contamination.

3.) Sun is very important to the plants. Just make sure it gets enough of it, at least 13 hours. If its a very hot day outside, for example 100 degrees, take the plant into the shade. Its the same if its to cold outside, except take the plant inside.

If you have anymore questions feel free to message me!
By AniDimitrova
@Kwient Can you tell me where can I find this in the netherlands? Which garden shop? As I could not find it, had troubles with the dutch names of many stuff, still learning the language and definitely not learning plant related vocabulary yet haha :D so.. having a bit of trouble :D
Thanks for the advise! Will definitely try it in case I can find some. I prefer not to order on amazon, honestly, so if it can be found in NL, better, otherwise I will order :)

@riveraXVX Thank you! Well when I took them out of the pots y'day, I put them in a bowl full of distilled water. I hope they washed well.
I also can't help it and go outside on the terrace to check them like hundred times a day :D

@Multiverse172 Thank you! Today it's the usual "grey" day in NL, most of the times it's cloudy and rainy. During these days the plants cannot receive sunlight. Many Dutch people get vit.D for the same reason, or buy special vit.D lights (o.O whatever that is) and so same for the plants. In this case should I bring them in and keep them under my artificial light until sun rises again? That would also mean temperature change, as inside my room it's usually 22 to 26 deg Celsius. What do you think?

----------------

I really hope this time they will be safe. And I really like other cultivars too:
Freaky-Star
Fire-Mouth
Giant Trap erect form
Teeth Selection I
Wacky Trap
B52

Wondering which one of these can be looked after by me (i.e. by a beginner)
By deleted user
AniDimitrova wrote:@Kwient Can you tell me where can I find this in the netherlands? Which garden shop? As I could not find it, had troubles with the dutch names of many stuff, still learning the language and definitely not learning plant related vocabulary yet haha :D so.. having a bit of trouble :D
Thanks for the advise! Will definitely try it in case I can find some. I prefer not to order on amazon, honestly, so if it can be found in NL, better, otherwise I will order :)

@riveraXVX Thank you! Well when I took them out of the pots y'day, I put them in a bowl full of distilled water. I hope they washed well.
I also can't help it and go outside on the terrace to check them like hundred times a day :D

@Multiverse172 Thank you! Today it's the usual "grey" day in NL, most of the times it's cloudy and rainy. During these days the plants cannot receive sunlight. Many Dutch people get vit.D for the same reason, or buy special vit.D lights (o.O whatever that is) and so same for the plants. In this case should I bring them in and keep them under my artificial light until sun rises again? That would also mean temperature change, as inside my room it's usually 22 to 26 deg Celsius. What do you think?

----------------

I really hope this time they will be safe. And I really like other cultivars too:
Freaky-Star
Fire-Mouth
Giant Trap erect form
Teeth Selection I
Wacky Trap
B52

Wondering which one of these can be looked after by me (i.e. by a beginner)
Don't bring them inside on cloudy days, I live in the UK so I know a lot about that. They'll do fine if on sunny days they are given full sun.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By Kwient
You can buy Sphagnum Moss (veenmos) in almost any Garden center. I bought mine at Ranzijn.
I had the Same problem when I started growing vft's finding the right soil, sphagnum and perliet, but once you know what to buy or what to ask for in Dutch ;).....there is plenty available.
Tip: use demineralised water for your plants. You can buy that in the supermarket, AH for example. Look for it between the cleaning products.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
By AniDimitrova
@Kwient Thank you. I was there, but i was looking for the (apparently wrong) soil there. Didn't see this one, but I've got one of these stores close by and will just go and check again. Thanks! :)

@rulen24 but isn't too much water maybe bad for them?

I have another question, they are in 2 diff. pots, I am going back in my home country for 2 weeks in august. How do I keep them watered? I bought some tools on which I can attach bottle of water, but they leak from all parts and I don't think they can handle 2L bottles which is what i need to use in order for them to be watered for 2 weeks (also my pots are too small for me to just plug these into the pot). So what's the best way to water them when I'm away and should I bring them inside away from direct sun so the soil doesn't dry more than necessary? Thanks in advance to everyone who gives any info :)

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!