FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Redneck_Angel
Well, I'm back to the land of internet. I didn't realize how much I'd miss it :D I've been offline for the past few weeks as my life was pretty hectic before the wedding, followed by leaving on my honeymoon and spending time in an EXTREMELY remote area of Ontario where I had no cell phone service, and no internet to connect to. It's good to be home :D Only downside is I have to go back to work tomorrow after 2 and a half weeks off :roll:

And I'm happy to report that most of my plants survived their time alone thanks to a capiliary mat. I'll admit I lost a few seedlings, and some of my adult plants are looking pretty sad as they enter dormancy, but all in all I'm happy with what I see in them right now. They'll need a little TLC as they're not in absolute top shape, but they didn't outright die on me :D
By Matt
Hey G! Glad to see that you're back. I'm glad to hear that you made it through the wedding craziness and the nice honeymoon unscathed. Congrats!

It's also good to hear that your plants made it through their time alone. I've not heard of a capillary mat before, so I just looked it up. Cool idea. I'm still not sure I entirely understand how you keep the mat wet (did yours hook up to a faucet or something?), but it looks like a cool solution for watering your plants.
By Redneck_Angel
Nope, no faucet. Just use a cut portion of the mat to act as a wick, with half of it under the mat on your table, and the other end dangling down into a bucket of water. The wick pulls the water up to the mat on the table, the mat on the table is designed to pull water to it's edges to ensure the whole mat stays damp as long as the wick is able to suck up water. The mat is amazing- saw it at a specialty store and fell in love.

I will admit with the onset of dormancy it may have kept things a bit too wet, but as I said all my adult plants survived their 2 weeks alone, so now just some minor clean up of early signs of fungus, and my plants are set for winter :D
By Matt
Redneck_Angel wrote:I will admit with the onset of dormancy it may have kept things a bit too wet
Well, it's certainly the better option than letting them dry up! I think you did what you had to do and I'm sure that your plants will be fine. They're not really into full on dormancy yet and even so, a couple weeks of wetness isn't likely going to set them up for root rot if you keep them a little drier most of the winter.

It's nice to have you back G... :D
By English Springer
Welcome back G!
And again congrats on your wedding!
Look forward to seeing you around the forums!
Peace!
E.S.
By kevinqwe
Welcome back.
hope the honeymoon went good :D :D
By dionaea muscipula
welcome back!! yey i am soo happy :D i feel like singing 4 some reson?? boredness, maybe cuz i am listening 2 music?? or i am bored. watever reason welcome back!
By Aging_Bourbon
Welcome back!

Omar calm down!
By hackerberry
Welcome back G! We sure missed you here...

hb
By Redneck_Angel
Thanks guys! I must admit I'm not entirely happy to be back and work and deal ing with the laundry and clean up from the craziness that was my house before we left for the honeymoon, but it's still nice to be back!
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!