FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Coco
SundewWolf wrote: Thanks. I feel like I could do more if I had a greenhouse which would let me grow and propagate plants faster, but I've the junky garage and patio that I have. I also usually recorded and edited on my iPhone 6 which now was turned to junk (the camera calibration device is broken and I can't record without the image shaking as if I had tremors in my hands). I thought I would get a new phone and a cheap $1K greenhouse but I applied for a promotion at work and didn't get it. Like a true egoist I denied their seasonal offer saying if there was no room to move up in this place then I'm leaving. So now I will be bumming around until further notice.

I do plan to cross the flowers on these hardier regia I have although they need to be older to bloom, and I'll have to look into what I can do to promote it. If I ever build that greenhouse I may start giving them a 45*F winter dormancy and then back into the basement under lights in the spring time. That being said, if I can clone the roots of these regia it will be the same hardy plant as the parent.

I also wondered if people baby their seedlings more than I do and then sell them all. That would make more business sense than my style of picking the best two seedlings but I can't speak for what other sellers are or aren't doing.
Greenhouses are great for all the seasons except summer :lol: I have been looking at DIY greenhouses where it's definitely cost effective, you just need the time and patience to build it (which I don't have at the moment). Hey, you know your self-worth. It's dangerous for people to be comfortable and to stop where they're at when they have so much potential. A great company will recognize it, apparently not the one that you're at.

When it comes to it, I hope it pollinates well for you. I've read that it hinges on when the stigmas are receptive. Keep in mind that not all the seedlings will be hardy due to genetics. It's highly likely that most of them will be, but root cuttings will ensure it.

You're going for quality, which takes time. It all depends on you and what route you go for in the end but either way is justifiable. Due to stacks of obligations and responsibilities, it's hard to always sell the best plants to people.
By Do_Gon
I just set up this little number. It's no where near a 1k greenhouse, but it suits my beginner needs right now. Image
By SundewWolf
Do_Gon wrote:I just set up this little number. It's no where near a 1k greenhouse, but it suits my beginner needs right now. Image
I have thought about setting one of those up indoors for my lowland Nepenthes, but outdoors here in chicago I would need something more robust for the winter. I could theoretically get a $350 6x8 harbor freight one to store everything in but I've heard their quality is garbage.
By Do_Gon
Yeah, their quality isn't the best but my brother swears by them saying that they have a $7.99 warranty or some such that he uses to get replacements when their stuff breaks every year or so.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!