FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
My local Lowes is selling Nepenthes plants and I would like to rescue one, and it would be the first time I'm getting one when I do. Ik they're tropical and are somewhat different from VFTs, so here is some questions I have regarding their care:

1. Will a 4 to 6 inch plastic flower pot be too small or just right?
2. Should I wean it to get use to sunlight for a while at my east window that gets morning sunlight only before taking it out to full sun or just immediately have it at my window to get the sunlight?
3. I'm from south east Pennsylvania, and after doing research on my growing zone, its 6b, is it ok for it to be outside when the humidity is low? Because there is some dry spells during the summer, mostly in July
4. Is Better-Gro Orchid 8-Quart Organic Potting Soil Mix (made with fir bark, charcoal and course perlite) a safe media?
5. Lastly, what's the best humidity level for a Nepenthes where I'm from?

Thanks to anyone who answers these questions! :mrgreen:
By CPhunter101
A 4 inch flower pot should be fine, just make sure to rinse it out with distilled water.
The first thing you should do is repot your nep in long fibered sphagnum moss (it's better than orchid bark). Placing your nep by a bright window would be a great way to acclimate it.
I'm assuming the "typical" nepenthes would be an alata/ventrata. These are very hardy and do not require a lot of humidity. If you're worried about it though, you can mist it once a day with a spray bottle of distilled water.
Here's some high quality moss for your nepenthes. Enjoy! :)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BETTER-GRO-Orc ... x/50284907
By optique
what makes me move to a larger pot is how fast the media goes dry i like at least 3 day between having to water. large plants will dry a small pot fast

If it is from Lowes its probably ventrata that's max 4 hours direct sunlight in my exp. avoid high noon sun, morning or evening sun is best.

once the weather stays above 50f at night you are good to put ventrata outside.

I use long fiber sphagnum moss(LFSM) and perlite. the mix you have is to dry. but you could mix with with LFSM but just pure LFSM would be fine also.

humidity wont matter to much to ventrata, if its really dry it will stop developing pitchers but will start back when the humidity is up, if you mist the tips of the leaves that grow into pitchers to get around this. dunking the tips into a shot glass of water works too
By septembersapphire21
These are very helpful answers, and I'm glad you guys actually know what type of Nepenthes is could be!

I hope that they sell Orchid moss because the last time I was there they were sold out. I can mix that with the Organic Orchid mix they're selling
My weather currently is getting warmer, the days are being in the 70s and nights high 40s to mid 50s
And that's good to know about the Ventrata doesn't mind any humidity level, to be honest, that makes it super easy for me.

Thanks for the answers!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!