FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Goodkoalie
Very nice flytrap but you should wait to name it. Distribute it( we don't want another sarracenia oreophila 'don schnell' and grow it for a few years to make sure it is stable. The weird traps could be due to shock, and it could make perfectly fine leaves next year. Or it only makes the traps under your care. Either way, put me on your waiting list for a division.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
Goodkoalie wrote:Very nice flytrap but you should wait to name it. Distribute it( we don't want another sarracenia oreophila 'don schnell' and grow it for a few years to make sure it is stable. The weird traps could be due to shock, and it could make perfectly fine leaves next year. Or it only makes the traps under your care. Either way, put me on your waiting list for a division.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I have reservations about distributing it until it's a registered cultivar. I'm not sure what the process is for that, but I don't want this plant sold then have someone else the claiming they made it and register it officially under their own name.

As for the stability; I don't think it's shock anymore since its been over a month and It's resumed putting out new growth. If I have a shocked flytrap they look the part (no traps, short leaves, burn, etc.) I also bought it like it was in the very first picture with already formed "buttcheeks". I'm not sure where "little pot of horrors" grows their flytraps, but if it went from them to the orchid nursery who sold it, then 5 hours away to my house, and its continued to produce deformed leaves I'm sure this isn't a location dependent mutation.

Also, this appearance is almost certainly based on genetics. I think some things like growth patterns and richness of color can change based on where a plant grows in the world, but I don't think a phenotype as dramatic as "buttcheeks" will go away when it's distributed. Same way a person wont get cured of genetic mutations if they move to a different city.

The traps seem to also keep produce scaling like "trichterfalle" but not as dramatic as something like "schuppenstiel". I think if scaling is an indicator of appearance due to genetics, then since my trap has scaling as well as it's other unique looks, then the whole phenotype must also be genetically dependent.
By mnwatson1
I *believe* I read that part of registering a cultivar is having others grow clones of it in their growing environments to ensure the trait is stable and not due to your specific conditions.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
mnwatson1 wrote:I *believe* I read that part of registering a cultivar is having others grow clones of it in their growing environments to ensure the trait is stable and not due to your specific conditions.

I will see if I can contact someone from the ICPS so that I can find out the requirements.
By SundewWolf
Matt wrote:See here:
http://carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/register.php
Seems pretty simple. I didn't see anything about having to distribute the cultivar first. Although I wonder if there is an additional fee? It seems like more people would register cultivars if it were easy.
By Kellye8498
bvalente wrote:
Kellye8498 wrote:Oh my. My kids have fallen in love and are asking where we can get a "buttcheek plant". Any chance you will be selling any in the future?
If you can get a red variety you can call it "monkey butt" :lol:
Oh man! I want to cross it with my Red Dragon and see how red it can get, lol. I could call it Sore Butt xD My kids might think it's a little less funny than I do but the puns I could come up with while looking at it would be priceless :D
By Kellye8498
SundewWolf wrote:I might have a division on ebay eventually. I will see how these grow once the warmer weather comes.

Let me know because I'd be really interested. I don't really care about what it is called or if it's registered as a cultivar or not or anything else, just want to make my kiddos happy and have another pretty plant in my collection for me. <3
By SundewWolf
Kellye8498 wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:I might have a division on ebay eventually. I will see how these grow once the warmer weather comes.

Let me know because I'd be really interested. I don't really care about what it is called or if it's registered as a cultivar or not or anything else, just want to make my kiddos happy and have another pretty plant in my collection for me. <3
I will reply with an update to this "I found a weird flytrap" thread when I think a division is mature enough to sell, handle shipping, etc. Right now I just have the tiny divisions in the most reccent picture.
SundewWolf liked this
By SundewWolf
SundewWolf wrote:
Matt wrote:See here:
http://carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/register.php
Seems pretty simple. I didn't see anything about having to distribute the cultivar first. Although I wonder if there is an additional fee? It seems like more people would register cultivars if it were easy.
Actually I just stumbled upon the latest ICPS issues while looking for a different plant and saw you registered a lot of FTS clones. Maybe it simple enough as filling the form out?
By mnwatson1
SundewWolf wrote:
mnwatson1 wrote:I *believe* I read that part of registering a cultivar is having others grow clones of it in their growing environments to ensure the trait is stable and not due to your specific conditions.

I will see if I can contact someone from the ICPS so that I can find out the requirements.
I believe they list the guidelines on their website.

By Matt
SundewWolf wrote:I didn't see anything about having to distribute the cultivar first. Although I wonder if there is an additional fee? It seems like more people would register cultivars if it were easy.
Typically it is recommended that the plant be grown by at least a few people before attempting to register any plant as a cultivar. I think the person in charge of making registrations official with the ICPS often rejects submissions for publication that have not been circulated and grown by multiple people.
SundewWolf wrote:Actually I just stumbled upon the latest ICPS issues while looking for a different plant and saw you registered a lot of FTS clones. Maybe it simple enough as filling the form out?
I actually didn't submit the FTS clones that have been registered myself. I don't really have a strong desire to officially register any cultivars. The reason those FTS clones were registered is because they were published in Stewart McPherson's book, which is sufficient for the publication requirement. Then the ICPS cultivar person (Jan Schlauer) submitted all of the plants in the book for official registration -- with the exception of a few that didn't have unique enough characteristics or that were not approved to be registered by the original grower.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!