FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
I found some caterpillars in my d. Capensis, seemingly after one called buffet. Luckily I only found some damage from caterpillars on one fly trap. I guess it got into a few traps and chewed it's way out.
So anyway the 2 bug killer products are easy to get. I have seen the Bayer 3 in 1 recommend and also neem oil. I have to treat some Sundews and I would like to treat all the fly traps. I wonder if anyone would recommend the neem before the Bayer 3 in 1? And if you have used it per it's recommended application? Thanks. I really need to treat the plants today. ThanksImageImage

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:I found some caterpillars in my d. Capensis, seemingly after one called buffet. Luckily I only found some damage from caterpillars on one fly trap. I guess it got into a few traps and chewed it's way out.
So anyway the 2 bug killer products are easy to get. I have seen the Bayer 3 in 1 recommend and also neem oil. I have to treat some Sundews and I would like to treat all the fly traps. I wonder if anyone would recommend the neem before the Bayer 3 in 1? And if you have used it per it's recommended application? Thanks. I really need to treat the plants today. ThanksImageImage

I found the caterpillar. I guess I don't need pesticides.

By Mawy_Plants
Glad you found it!

That was me two weeks ago. It was lodging in a Sarracenia pitcher and damaged 2-3 leaves already. I didn't think it was anything until nearly a whole leaf was chewed up.

I finally spotted it one evening poking out of its' pitcher home. The next day, I cut it off to coax the bugger out better. Fed it to a VFT. Took a day to register since I didn't realize it cocooned itself. I massaged the leaf to stimulate digestion.

Fin.

Hahaha. Did you feed the guy to one of the plants?! Then again, it may escape and eat it's way out again.
By Jagasian
The Bayer 3in1 contains a fungicide called tebuconazole that will cause venus fly traps to grow smaller, extremely crescent shaped traps for about 4 weeks after being exposed to 3in1.

I know this because I have used 3in1 two times this year on the same venus fly trap. The first time in Early spring to get rid of a mite infestation and the second time in the summer to get ride of a fungal infection caused by overwatering.

I have not used neem oil, and to be honest, I am skeptical that it will work well. For pests, the artificial, bad for the environment chemicals work like magic.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Jagasian wrote:The Bayer 3in1 contains a fungicide called tebuconazole that will cause venus fly traps to grow smaller, extremely crescent shaped traps for about 4 weeks after being exposed to 3in1.

I know this because I have used 3in1 two times this year on the same venus fly trap. The first time in Early spring to get rid of a mite infestation and the second time in the summer to get ride of a fungal infection caused by overwatering.

I have not used neem oil, and to be honest, I am skeptical that it will work well. For pests, the artificial, bad for the environment chemicals work like magic.
Hi thanks Jagasian.
It was recommended by Matt and Leah I use Avid or acephate 75. I have rid my garden of caterpillars, so at this moment I am not going to treat anything. The only reason I would treat would be a preventative. And only so I would feel better trading plants I know have no bugs.
I agree with you that the harsher chemicals at least work. I am going to experiment with the bayer 3 in 1 on a test group and see how they compare to a control group. It's too hot to put anything on the fly traps right now if I don't have to. But when it gets cooler I am going to test the bayer 3 in 1. Thanks again

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!