FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BullwinkleII
ChefDean wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:01 pm
BullwinkleII wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:22 pm I planted them on damp (dead) sphagnum moss, and they all took on a stack of water... like... 4 times their existing volume or so.

So now they are pearls maybe half the size of a grain of wheat, with the dark seed in the center.

Is this normal?

Can I expect them to germinate?
No, this isn't normal for cp seeds, they don't form a shell of mucilage around the seed when sown. They may still germinate, but don't expect a carnivorous plant out of it.
We have all got taken at one point or another, I also fell for the blue Venus Flytrap seeds.
Wait and see what develops, you might get some basil or something to use in a Marinara.
And thanks for the new word...

mucilage
/ˈmjuːsɪlɪdʒ/
noun
a viscous secretion or bodily fluid.
a polysaccharide substance extracted as a viscous or gelatinous solution from plant roots, seeds, etc., and used in medicines and adhesives.
NORTH AMERICAN
an adhesive solution; gum or glue.
Definitions from Oxford Languages
By uxleumas
well, at least you have basil :/ 50 cents is actually quite cheep for basil. you can make lots of things with it i guess. also, you can request some seeds from the seed bank, i believe you can request seeds from level 1 and level 0. you get a bounus this month for nepenthes seeds. for example if you requested "Dionea Muscipula FTS OP" you would get that, PLUS the nepenthes bounus. it's not that you only get the bounus if you request the nepenthes.
By BullwinkleII
uxleumas wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:05 pm well, at least you have basil :/ 50 cents is actually quite cheep for basil. you can make lots of things with it i guess. also, you can request some seeds from the seed bank, i believe you can request seeds from level 1 and level 0. you get a bounus this month for nepenthes seeds. for example if you requested "Dionea Muscipula FTS OP" you would get that, PLUS the nepenthes bounus. it's not that you only get the bounus if you request the nepenthes.
Thanks.

ChefDean mentioned the seed bank.

Very cool. (and cracking effort for actually doing the work ChefDean!)

I've just been reading up on propagation before putting in a request. If someone has gone to the effort of growing them, then someone else putting in the work to distribute them, I figure I should know how to grow them first :)

With the [basil] seeds I bought, I just sprinkled them on, and under the sphagnum moss I have in my little desktop terrarium VFT garden.
uxleumas liked this
By BullwinkleII
@cryostasis, That looks pretty close to what I got from memory.... But pretty much everything looks like that to me :)

I'm surprised they even bother sending me anything. It's not as if I'm going to spend the $10 to send back my seeds to get a 50 cent refund :)
By EricSg
BullwinkleII wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:19 am @cryostasis, That looks pretty close to what I got from memory.... But pretty much everything looks like that to me :)

I'm surprised they even bother sending me anything. It's not as if I'm going to spend the $10 to send back my seeds to get a 50 cent refund :)
I reckon it’s to record that they sent you the product so they can continue listing.
By BullwinkleII
Does anyone know of a VFT seed company called egrow? I found a pic in my phone of a pack of VFT seeds and I think they must be the ones I planted, but I dont want to say anything bad about them just in case they are legit.
The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!