FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By LatiosTheBlue
Hello!

I got my Drosera Spatulata a few days ago (and hope to expand my Drosera collection in the coming months). I put it in a terrarium, (about 20” long 8” wide 10” deep), there is about 4 inches of Substrate, and a 1/2 inch false bottom. It is lidless, with T12 fluorescent lights on for around 13-15 hours. Temperature is fine for the requirements Drosera’s present.

My question is how I keep the humidity above 60%? During the day it drops all the way to 40-30%. Since it is lidless I am having this problem. I can’t put the terrarium lid because it would block the light from getting to it. I added a small dish of water in hopes of keeping the humidity up. I mist it before and after school and before I go to bed. There is an air humidifier next to it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
By Benurmanii
For the majority of Drosera species, including this one, low humidity is just fine. As long as you have plenty of light (the most important factor) and it is well watered, it will produce plenty of dew.
Benurmanii liked this
By Shadowtski
Most common Drosera are fine with household humidity.

I grow most of my Drosera in uncovered 10 Gallon aquariums.

I keep about a quarter inch of distilled water in the bottom of the tank. This provides tray watering and boosts the humidity a bit.

I've been doing it this way for years.

Mike
By bananaman
Drosera spatulata is fine with low humidity. I had weedy seedlings that stayed dewy even this summer, with temperatures of well over 100° and humidities below 20%. They weren’t quite as dewy as in the morning when the humidity was like 70% and it was cooler, but they were still dewy.

Low humidity isn’t an issue for this species and many other common ones.

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!