FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By STEVIEFLY
I see by a few pictures on here that there are still the bodies of dead flies still in the traps how do you remove them without triggering them to close again ?
By Matt
There is no need to remove them. Just leave them in the traps. They could be blow out by the wind or washed out by the rain, but sometimes the carcasses will lure in a second meal like a spider coming to eat the rest of the body.
By STEVIEFLY
Matt wrote:There is no need to remove them. Just leave them in the traps. They could be blow out by the wind or washed out by the rain, but sometimes the carcasses will lure in a second meal like a spider coming to eat the rest of the body.

Thanks Matt but where i live it is not the greatest weather (Scotland) to leave the plants outside maybe on good days it should be ok but most of the time will be at the window , thanks
By Budukai
^^; not to conflict with what Matt said, if you want to take the flies out, try using some small tweezers. Your best bet is to get the carcass when the trap is just opening, that way the trigger hairs could still be inactive, even if you take the carcasses out later, just carefully tug on them until you can get them out. A little sprits of water can help to loosen it up some.
By Bud
Budukai wrote:^^; not to conflict with what Matt said, if you want to take the flies out, try using some small tweezers.
“OPERATION” funny, reminds me of an old game I palyed when I was younger called "operation" made by Milton Bradley. You had to remove small “parts” from small holes with tweezers without touching the sides and setting off a buzzer. If it really bothers you, perhaps you could carefully try a hand blower used by photographers and techs. Even water sprayed can trigger traps. Just keep in mind; every time you induce a trap to close, whether on purpose or accident, you will be bringing that particular trap closer to an early death. So I believe most; just leave it alone.

Good Growing

Bud
By Budukai
Bud wrote: “OPERATION” funny, reminds me of an old game I palyed when I was younger called "operation" made by Milton Bradley. You had to remove small “parts” from small holes with tweezers without touching the sides and setting off a buzzer.
Bud
That's exactly what it is :lol: never thought of that one ^^
By mktamin
I like leaving the dead bodies in the traps, it's almost like the VFT's "trophies", like how people sometimes keep a deer head when they successfully hunt it. It also helps keep annoying little sisters sho are scared of dead bugs away :D

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!