FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello all!

So basically I'm wondering how many of you guys have grown your breath taking sarracenia? Those beautiful, tall, luscious pitchers that grow in bunches; I aspire to have those! However though, mine look pretty ratty at the moment, and I can't seem to get them looking like those seen in Google images, no matter how much I try.

I know some of you guys have pitchers that look like the super models of the plant world, so I'm just wondering... what's your secret?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By michijake
I think one thing to keep in mind is that getting the “bunched” look takes a couple of years since the plants have to get established and then form multiple growth points.

Do you grow yours outside in full sun? I think that’s the main key to success - good luck!
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By That one plant boi
michijake wrote:I think one thing to keep in mind is that getting the “bunched” look takes a couple of years since the plants have to get established and then form multiple growth points.

Do you grow yours outside in full sun? I think that’s the main key to success - good luck!
Full sun all day!

But yea, I guess patience is the key with these sorts of things lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Panman
Yep, outside, plenty of sun, water depends on species. Flavas, psittacinas, and purps like it soggy. Leucos and minors, not so much. Then leave them alone and don't divide them. Refresh the media as needed and repot to a bigger pot.
Supercazzola, elaineo liked this
By michijake
PS Also keep in mind that certain sarracenia species always look weird and spindly early in the summer, not making their nice tall carnivorous pitchers until later in the season. I believe (although I could be remembering incorrectly) that leucophylla and rubra in particular don't make attractive traps until late summer.
By steve booth
Panman is exactly right.
Give the big pots, plenty of sun , stand in water and don’t divide. They turn into multi growth point s bearing big pitchers after three years or so.
Repot without dividing year three
Cheers
Steve
By Nepenthes0260
I'd say michijake is right, a lot has to do with the number of growth points the plant has. Additionally, usually the year after they're repotted they don't grow the largest or attain the best colors since they're mainly focusing on getting their roots established. So pot them into a good mix, provide them with bright light, and after a couple/few years you'll have big bunches of pitchers.
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!